MIAMI (SEPTEMBER 27, 2011) — International law firm McDermott Will & Emery LLP announced today that it has relocated to a new office in Miami, capping a remarkable year of planning and expansion for the Firm in which it has opened, refurbished or relocated offices in some seven key cities around the world over the last 12 months.
Previously located on South Biscayne Boulevard, McDermott’s team of 32 corporate, health, intellectual property, litigation and tax lawyers have relocated to new offices at 333 Avenue of the Americas. The new space, located in the Wells Fargo Center in Miami’s central business district, is designed for efficiency, flexibility and potential future expansion. Notably, the building was recently certified LEED Gold for environmental conservation and sustainable design by the U.S. Green Building Council. McDermott's new Miami office will encompass 30,205 square feet, allowing for future growth and build-outs.
“Our new space in Miami is representative of McDermott's commitment to excellence, both in our service to our clients and as good stewards of our environment,” said Ira J. Coleman, partner-in-charge of the Florida office and head of the Florida Health Industry Advisory Practice Group and a member of the Firm's Management Committee. “It is a clean, vibrant, efficient space that glows with the excitement of the growing international South Florida business community. We welcome our clients and community leaders to utilize our new space to achieve great things and solve significant problems. In addition to our commitment to environmental conservation and building sustainability, this move is a further investment in our growing practices in Florida. While our address has changed, we will continue providing world-class service and solutions to our clients. We will always be all about the clients."
In lieu of a traditional office opening party, the attorneys and professional staff choose to make a substantial donation to All-Aboard Family Literacy Program, a multicultural after-school program that does so much for the children of Miami. "I'm so proud of our team's decision to forego the big party and do something special for the kids. A party with face painting, kids laughing and ice cream beats any downtown cocktail party," added Coleman.
The move is part of a larger strategy by the Firm to take advantage of the changing economic environment, and real estate markets, to obtain premiere office space for its offices around the world. In just the past 12 months, McDermott has opened new offices, or unveiled plans for new and expanded office space, in seven key cities around the world -- Miami, London, Paris, Washington, D.C., Brussels, Milan and Orange County.
“As we grow our Firm, we always look for premiere office space that gives our lawyers the advantages of closer client contact as well as state-of-the-art building design that meets our professional and economic requirements,” said Peter J. Sacripanti, co-chair of McDermott Will & Emery, based in New York. “When we can do both of those things while also reducing our environmental footprint and achieving significant cost savings for the Firm, that makes office moves such as this one well worth the effort.”
In addition to the new Miami office, the Firm has made a number of high-profile moves in recent months, including:
- In February of this year, the Firm signed a final contract to occupy 171,000 square feet of Class A, office space on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. In this completely refurbished new location, McDermott will be the primary occupant beginning November 2012. The building, which will be known as "The McDermott Building," will be completely renovated and upgraded with state-of-the art technology, including new mechanical and electrical systems, elevators and an entirely new glass façade. The building is being designed to achieve LEED Gold Certification through the U.S. Green Building Council.
- In March, McDermott announced the relocation of its London office to Heron Tower, the City of London’s tallest tower and the largest office building in London. McDermott became the first tenants occupying 25,000 square feet in the new landmark building which is 46 stories high and provides 440,000 square feet of office space. Heron Tower achieved a BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) rating of Excellent.
- In April, McDermott announced the opening of its new Paris office on the famed Left Bank. The new Paris office is key to achieving the Firm’s strategy of providing quality local advice to clients in all the major economies where they conduct their business.
- In the coming months, McDermott will be relocating to new and bigger offices in the key business districts in Milan and Brussels, confirming the Firm's strategy of growing its space in Europe.
- In January 2012, McDermott will move from its current office in Irvine, CA to a new location in the same city. The new office will consist of approximately 45,500 square feet of space to accommodate 60+ attorneys.
“We’re fortunate to have both a growing client base and the financial resources to capitalize on recent shifts in our local real estate markets,” added Jeffrey E. Stone, co-chair of McDermott Will & Emery, based in Chicago. “Many Firms use debt financing to open new offices, but that is not our approach at McDermott. Instead, we strategically invest the Firm’s resources where it makes business sense for our clients and our partners. Through these new leases, we hope to achieve enormous capital savings while placing our lawyers in some of the premiere office buildings around the world. We’re confident these moves will pay dividends for many years to come.”
About McDermott Will & Emery
McDermott Will & Emery is a premier international law firm with a diversified business practice. Numbering more than 1,000 lawyers, we have offices in Boston, Brussels, Chicago, Düsseldorf, Houston, London, Los Angeles, Miami, Milan, Munich, New York, Orange County, Paris, Rome, Silicon Valley and Washington, D.C. Extending our reach to Asia, we have a strategic alliance with MWE China Law Offices in Shanghai.