BOSTON (May 10, 2012) — International law firm McDermott Will & Emery LLP will host the Firm’s next Private Equity Boot Camp series in Boston, Massachusetts on May 24th.
McDermott’s nationally-ranked Private Equity practice has developed one of the only "boot camps," an intensive full-day training program, geared specifically for entry-and mid-level private equity fund professionals looking to improve their knowledge of critical legal aspects and considerations typically encountered in a buyout transaction.
For this month's boot camp, the Firm will bring together its leading Corporate partners as well as major regional players in private equity to offer one of the most dynamic training programs in the country. The Boston event will include a keynote address by Dan Fireman, Founder and Managing Partner of Boston-based Fireman Capital Partners, a private equity firm specializing in buyouts and growth equity.
“We are thrilled to call Boston home for our next boot camp session,” said Sam Wales a partner in the firm’s Washington D.C. office. “We believe our program is a perfect fit for cities like Boston, which are filled with young, aspirational fund managers looking for a deeper appreciation and understanding of the legal process so they can better manage and grow their portfolio business. Boston is certainly among the top private equity cities in the country, and we look forward to seeing many of the city’s top private equity managers in attendance.”
Designed to fill a void in the private equity market, the annual series consists of two in-person Private Equity Boot Camps and a series of follow-on webcasts expanding on the key content presented at the conference as well as new material. The McDermott Boot Camp debuted in Chicago in the Fall of 2011, and is a national program consisting of monthly webcasts with its foray into a second in-person event.
"The boot camp was a well organized program creating a valuable experience for the young professionals in our firm by covering relevant topics in appropriate depth while offering opportunities for direct peer networking, all hosted in a great venue,” said Daniel Hosler, Principal at the private equity firm Sterling Partners. “We had younger professionals from our two offices attend and were so pleased with the event that we intend to participate in future boot camps."
Major topics that will be addressed in the Boston Boot Camp include:
- Driving value through choice of transaction structure — calculating the benefit of the step-up in basis of assets
- Purchase price adjustments — working capital, setting the target and the post-closing true-up
- Understanding key terms in purchase agreements, such as forms of purchase price, including earnouts, indemnification rights and obligations, and market trends
- Developing equity incentive programs for management — rollover equity, options, restricted stock, profits, interests and other incentives, including tax treatment to the company and employee, vesting (time and performance goals) and consequences upon termination of employment (forfeiture and repurchase options)
- Negotiating financing arrangements, which includes current financing structures, strategies and trends, commitment letter terms and financial covenants
This boot camp series is offered complimentary by McDermott.
The next full-day Private Equity Boot Camp event is scheduled to take place in Chicago, Illinois on October 4, 2012.
About McDermott Will & Emery
McDermott Will & Emery is a premier international law firm with a diversified business practice. Numbering more than 1,000 lawyers, we have offices in Boston, Brussels, Chicago, Düsseldorf, Houston, London, Los Angeles, Miami, Milan, Munich, New York, Orange County, Paris, Rome, Silicon Valley and Washington, D.C. Extending our reach to Asia, we have a strategic alliance with MWE China Law Offices in Shanghai.