Legal 500 USA 2015 has recommended McDermott as a leading firm in 36 practice areas, including four Top-Tier Firm practice recognitions. The Firm received five new practice recognitions and increased tier rankings in seven practice areas. The Firm’s results show an improvement in the Firm’s rankings from last year and overall in the last five years.
Key points to takeaway:
- McDermott is a Tier 1 Firm in four practice areas and Tier 2 Firm in nine practice areas.
- McDermott holds Tier 1 ranking in Healthcare: Service Providers for the fourth consecutive year, since entering the ranking tables in 2012. McDermott is the only firm ranked in Tier 1 for Healthcare: Service Providers.
- McDermott also maintains Tier 1 ranking in Healthcare: Health Insurers for the fourth consecutive year.
- McDermott holds Tier 1 ranking in Mergers & Acquisitions: M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m) for the fourth consecutive year.
- McDermott receives Tier 1 ranking for the first time for Intellectual property - Patent Prosecution: Utility and Design Patents, improving the ranking from last year’s Tier 2.
- McDermott also receives improved rankings across various other IP sections including: Patent Litigation; Trademarks Litigation; Trademarks non-contentious.
- Other improved rankings include: Finance: Not-for-profit; Industry Focus: Energy: Transactions and Litigation: White-Collar Criminal Defense.
- 20 of the Firm’s lawyers are listed in the elite "Leading lawyers" list.
- 144 lawyer recommendations in the editorial across various practice areas.
- 49 new lawyer recommendations in multiple practice areas.
Full Firm ranking results, lists of recommended lawyers including great client feedback and editorial can be found in our full report.
Highlights of McDermott's practice accomplishments include:
Top Rankings Tier 1 & Tier 2:
-- Industry focus - Healthcare: health insurers – Tier 1
-- Industry focus - Healthcare: service providers – Tier 1
-- IP - Patent prosecution: utility and design patents – Tier 1
-- M&A/corporate and commercial - M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m) – Tier 1
-- Finance: Not-for-profit (non-profit and tax exempt organizations) – Tier 2
-- IP: Patent Litigation (International Trade Commission) – Tier 2
-- Labor & Employment: Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation – Tier 2
-- Litigation: Product liability and Mass Tort Defense (Toxic Tort) - Tier 2
-- Litigation: Trade Secrets – Tier 2
-- Media, Technology and Telecoms: Data Protection and Privacy – Tier 2
-- Tax: Financial Products – Tier 2
-- Tax: International Tax – Tier 2
-- Tax: Tax Controversy – Tier 2
New Practice Rankings:
-- Antitrust: Merger Control – Tier 3
-- Antitrust: Civil litigation/class actions – Tier 4
-- Industry Focus: Energy: renewable/alternative – Tier 3
-- Litigation: Commercial Litigation – Tier 3
-- Litigation: Securities: Shareholder Litigation - Tier 4
All Legal 500 USA 2015 results can be found here.
The Legal 500’s rankings and editorial commentary are based on independent research, and interviews with clients and other purchasers of legal services.