12:00 – 12:30 pm PST – Registration and lunch
12:30 – 2:00 pm PST – Roundtable discussion
McDermott Will & Emery
4 Park Plaza, Suite 1700
Irvine, CA 92614-2559
“Standards Essential Patents” (SEPs) are patents covering technology that has been implemented into a technical standard. Enforcement, antitrust, patent prosecution, licensing, and mergers and acquisitions activities are addressed by the U.S. courts, the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission, as well as foreign authorities. Understanding the complex legal issues related to SEPs is important to companies that create technology or sell products/services related to a technical standard, or whose employees may be participating in the development of a technical standard.
Please join McDermott Will & Emery for a discussion that will include:
- What remedies can an SEP holder seek in U.S. courts and before the International Trade Commission (ITC)? Is injunctive relief possible?
- What steps should a company involved in a standard setting organization (SSO) take?
- What are the antitrust implications?
- How does a company’s involvement in an SSO impact prosecution of patent applications?
- What about licensing or mergers and acquisitions involving SEPs?
- How do these issues affect holders of SEPs?
- How are other countries addressing issues related to SEPs?
Karen Laub, Partner
William Diaz, Partner
For more information, please contact McDermott Events.
CLE credit is pending in California, Illinois, New York and Texas. A Uniform Certificate of Attendance will be made available to participants requesting CLE credit in all other states.
McDermott Will & Emery's IP Management Roundtables are designed for the educational benefit of a company president, CEO, general counsel or other executive with an interest in intellectual property. Please be advised McDermott has the right to restrict attendance and may limit participation in this event.