7:30 – 8:00 am CDT – Registration and breakfast
8:00 – 9:30 am CDT – Roundtable discussion
McDermott Will & Emery
1000 Louisiana St., Suite 3900
Houston, TX 77002-5005
Although many businesses are quite familiar with general patent and trademark issues, protecting a company’s intellectual property in online and interactive spaces and addressing matters pertaining to Rights of Publicity often remain a mystery. Even businesses that have a strong online presence—including social media sites, smartphone apps and cutting-edge marketing efforts—may fail to take even the most basic steps to effectively protect their trademarks, copyrights, domain names and even their employees’ images in cyberspace. McDermott Will & Emery will discuss best practices as well as provide a checklist for the top areas in which businesses may remain exposed to liability in the areas of:
- The new generic top level domains (gTLDs) launching this fall
- Domain name enforcement under the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (UDRP), as well as the new Uniform Rapid Suspension (URS) procedure
- Social media sites and smartphone apps—the protective actions companies should already be taking
- Using copyrights to protect logos and why this is not duplicative of trademark protection
- Right of Publicity issues that can hurt your business
Lynne Boisineau, Partner, McDermott Will & Emery
CLE credit is pending in California, Illinois, New York and Texas. A Uniform Certificate of Attendance will be made available to participants requesting CLE credit in all other states.
McDermott Will & Emery's IP Management Roundtables are designed for the educational benefit of a company president, CEO, general counsel or other executive with an interest in intellectual property. Please be advised McDermott has the right to restrict attendance and may limit participation in this event.