Nicole M. Pearl and Julie Miraglia Kwon will present "Modern Family: Defining Spouses and Descendants in the 21st Century" at the BASF MCLE program.Topics will include:
- Who should qualify as a spouse?
- Should the definitions include registered domestic partners or cohabiting couples?
- What happens when a marriage terminates?
- Who should qualify as a child?
- Presumptions of parenthood based on marital status, genetics or treating the child as your own
- How does adoption or assisted reproduction alter the presumptions concerning parenthood?
- Should children born or conceived after a parent's death still be considered the child of that parent?
- How can we fix existing documents that did not contemplate these broader family relationships?