International law firm McDermott Will & Emery was recognized as a leading firm in 42 practice areas in the 2020 edition of Chambers USA. The Firm garnered rankings in 10 national and 32 state practice categories, as well as 108 individual lawyer recommendations.
For the 11th consecutive year, McDermott received a Band 1 national ranking in the Healthcare category. Our Health practice also holds Band 1 rankings in California, District of Columbia, Florida, Illinois and Massachusetts. Chambers USA described the practice as a “well-established and highly respected healthcare powerhouse which handles complex, multijurisdictional transactions for high-profile clients.”
Clients observed the Firm’s tax lawyers’ strengths include “their pragmatism and ability to easily navigate internal and external bureaucracies to ensure the best answer” for clients. The Tax practice preserved its Band 1 position in Illinois and received a new ranking in Florida. The Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation practice earned recognition in key jurisdictions of Illinois, Massachusetts and Texas.
McDermott is the top-ranked firm nationally for Food & Beverage (Alcohol), maintaining its Band 1 ranking for the 15th consecutive year. Chambers cited client feedback noting McDermott lawyers’ ability to solve their most complex problems, adding, “The beverage alcohol regulatory landscape is very complex, with a lot of ‘gray’ — McDermott does a great job in helping our team navigate these areas.”
McDermott had 108 individual lawyer recommendations across multiple practice areas in 2020. These included 19 Band 1 rankings and 20 Band 2 rankings. There were 21 lawyers newly recognized this year and 13 lawyers who received improved rankings.
Highlights of McDermott’s practice achievements include:
- Nationwide: Food & Beverages: Alcohol – Band 1
- Nationwide: Healthcare – Band 1
- Nationwide: Outsourcing – Band 2
- Nationwide: Energy: Electricity (Regulatory & Litigation)– Band 2
- California: Healthcare – Band 1
- District of Columbia: Healthcare – Band 1
- District of Columbia: Insurance: Insurer – Band 2
- District of Columbia: Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets – Band 2
- Florida: Healthcare – Band 1
- Florida: Corporate/M&A & Private Equity – Band 2
- Illinois: Healthcare – Band 1
- Illinois: Employee Benefits & Compensation – Band 1
- Illinois: Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations – Band 1
- Illinois: Tax – Band 1
- Illinois: Antitrust – Band 2
- Illinois: Intellectual Property – Band 2
- Illinois: Corporate/M&A & Private Equity – Band 2
- Massachusetts: Healthcare – Band 1
- Massachusetts: Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation – Band 2
- Texas: Technology: Outsourcing – Band 1
- Texas (Dallas, Fort Worth & Surrounds): Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation – Band 2
Click here for full details about the Firm’s rankings and editorial commentary from Chambers USA.
About Chambers USA
Chambers USA rankings and editorial commentary are based on independent research, and interviews with clients and other purchasers of legal services. Chambers & Partners is one of the premier directories for legal services and in a survey of 20,000 in-house counsel over half reported that their directory of choice when reviewing law firms and individual lawyers is Chambers & Partners.
McDermott Will & Emery partners with leaders around the world to fuel missions, knock down barriers and shape markets. With more than 20 locations on three continents, our team works seamlessly across practices, industries and geographies to deliver highly effective—and often unexpected—solutions that propel success. More than 1,100 lawyers strong, we bring our personal passion and legal prowess to bear in every matter for our clients and the people they serve.
Erin West+1 202 756 8135