Michael F. Anthony served as head of the international Health Law Department from 1991 to 2001 and 2006 to 2009. He is the former senior vice president for Legal Affairs at the American Hospital Association. He also worked in various management roles at The Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, including as the administrator for the Henry Phipps Psychiatric Clinic.
Michael has served as counsel in connection with a number of transactional projects, including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, affiliations and joint ventures, all within a heavily regulated environment. He also has worked on health industry policy and regulatory issues, including testimony before congressional committees and work with several attorney generals.
Michael has published a number of articles and has served frequently as a faculty member in various programs.
- Served as transaction counsel on behalf of St. David’s Health System in its combination with Austin-based Columbia/HCA facilities in a complex partnership arrangement involving public and tax-exempt entities
- Served as lead counsel in the formation of a four-party health maintenance organization and preferred provider organization arrangement as one of the first provider-owned insurance initiatives in the country
- Served as party counsel in several joint operating entities, including in Chicago, Omaha, Dayton and Cincinnati
- Established with two major health systems, a joint venture group purchasing organization that has successfully launched on the East Coast
- Served as transaction counsel for a 100+ cardiologist group in creating a joint venture heart hospital and subsequent integration of the group into a major Midwest health system
- American Health Lawyers Association, David J. Greenburg Award
- The Best Lawyers in America, 1993 to 2021, Health Care Law
- Chambers USA, Band 1 from the initiation of such ratings through 2013, and one of only two Senior Statesmen in national healthcare from 2014 to 2017
- Nightingale’s Healthcare News, Outstanding Hospital Lawyers 2005
- American College of Healthcare Executives, life fellow
- American Health Lawyers Association, past president
University of Baltimore School of Law, JD, 1978
Xavier University, MHA, 1974
Xavier University, BS, 1972
District of Columbia