Jane A. Gerber focuses her practice on restructuring and insolvency. She advises clients from the healthcare, consumer finance, automotive, restaurant and food retail, employment and real estate sectors in Chapter 11 proceedings, related adversary proceedings, distressed asset sales and state court matters.
Prior to joining McDermott, Jane clerked for Chief Judge Barbara J. Houser in the bankruptcy court for the Northern District of Texas and Judge Bill P. Parker in the bankruptcy court for the Eastern District of Texas, and interned for Chief Judge Brenda T. Rhoades in the bankruptcy court for the Eastern District of Texas.
Prior to law school, Jane was a due diligence professional for a real estate company that formed and operated real estate investment trusts, limited partnerships and tenant-in-common programs. She managed broker-dealer and third-party inquiries for seventeen securities offerings comprising more than $11 billion in real estate. Jane also held FINRA Licenses 7 and 63 during her tenure with the company.
During law school, Jane was Managing Editor of the Washington University Global Studies Law Review.
- Represented a global leader in cryptocurrency mining in strategic restructuring transactions.
- Represented a nation-wide pet services company in an out-of-court reorganization.
- Represented the official committee of unsecured creditors in the chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding of a publicly-traded, self-administered, and self-managed real estate investment trust.
- Represented the largest member of an electric cooperative in connection with the electric cooperative’s Chapter 11 case.
- Represented and provided advice to a global leader in the fast casual franchised restaurant industry in connection with insolvency proceedings of its former largest domestic franchise.
- Represented a continuing care retirement community, reaching a successful forbearance agreement with its lender and plan confirmation*
- Represented an employment services company in a successful sale of assets satisfying all secured debt and confirmation of a liquidating plan *
- Represented a national health care management company in a successful sale of assets and confirmation of a liquidating plan*
*Matter handled prior to joining McDermott
- The Legal 500 USA, Recommended Lawyer, 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2020 to 2023, Litigation – Bankruptcy
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Texas, 2020 and 2021
- John C. Ford Inn of Courts, associate member
- International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, member
- DFW Association of Young Bankruptcy Lawyers, committee member
- Texas Bar College, member
- Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program, volunteer attorney
- American Bankruptcy Institute, member
Washington University in St. Louis, JD, 2014
Wellesley College, BA, First Year Distinction, 2003
US District Court for the Northern District of Texas
US District Court for the Southern District of Texas
US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
US District Court for the Western District of Texas
US Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas
US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas
US Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Texas
US Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Texas