David Gibson focuses his practice on providing project, commercial, finance, corporate and procurement advice for a wide range of public and private sector clients in the healthcare sector. He specializes in international and UK healthcare projects and regularly advises on complex hospital and medical equipment projects throughout the world. He has particular expertise in proton beam therapy and radiotherapy projects and led the legal team advising The Christie and UCLH NHS Foundation Trusts on their UK pathfinder joint procurement for the supply, installation and operation of proton beam therapy facilities.
David has significant PPP/PFI project experience, acting for both private and public sector stakeholders and has spoken and lectured widely on international health projects and PPP models, including as part of initiatives with the Department of International Trade. David has additional strength within a range of transactional disciplines, including experience in complex procurements, capital build projects, acquisitions, mergers and partnering arrangements in healthcare and life sciences, including healthcare digital technology.
David also advises on outsourcing of clinical and non-clinical healthcare services, private patient services, and healthcare regulatory matters.
- Acting for University College London Hospitals NHS Foundations Trust and the Christie NHS Foundation Trust on the £300m+ pathfinder project to bring Proton Beam Therapy equipment to the UK*
- Advising a US-owned medical equipment company on its acquisition from a leading Scandinavian equipment supplier of a business manufacturing and operating brain-scanning equipment that supports sites throughout the world.
- Acting for a UAE government-backed body in a hospital collaboration with a US consortium of hospitals on the development of a hospital and health system in the Middle East.
- Advising a leading US healthcare provider on its corporate, financial, commercial and healthcare regulatory issues on the acquisition and operation of healthcare projects and on its expansion into countries across Europe and the Middle East.
- Advising an NHS Trust on the procurement under competitive dialogue for its £65m+ new private patient facilities, and developing the related project, support services, leasing and finance agreements*
- Acting on numerous UK and international hospital and healthcare projects including: PPP hospital projects (including UK PFI and NHS LIFT projects); private hospital projects, radiotherapy units; diagnostic centres, and private patient units.
*Matter handled prior to joining McDermott
- The Legal 500 UK, Rising Star and Recommended Lawyer in Healthcare & Life Sciences, 2020 – 2023
- The Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom, Life Sciences Law, Ones to Watch, 2023
University of Bristol, LLM, 1997
University of Exeter, LLB, 1996
England and Wales