Ankur J. Goel represents health insurers and other health industry clients on a wide range of issues including complex business strategy, compliance, regulatory, enforcement, litigation and other matters. He has extensive experience with government health care programs, including Medicare Advantage, Medicare Part D, Medicaid, and the health insurance exchanges.
Before entering private practice, Ankur was a federal health care fraud prosecutor in the Attorney General’s Honors program and counsel to the US Senate Judiciary Committee, under then-Chairman Joseph R. Biden, Jr.
- Assisted health insurers and trade associations in advocacy on Medicare Advantage and exchange-related rules and funding.
- Represented Medicare Advantage and exchange plans in administrative appeals, false claims act investigations, and compliance matters relating to risk adjustment.
- Preserved a Medicare Advantage organization’s ability to serve Medicare beneficiaries through an administrative appeal
- Obtained reversal of a Medicare Advantage organization’s Star Ratings through threatened federal court litigation.
- Appealed and settled a civil monetary penalty imposed on a Medicare Advantage organization following a government program audit.
- Obtained dismissals, government declinations and settlements of False Claims Act and qui tam investigations and lawsuits against Medicare Advantage organizations, hospitals, home health agencies and other providers
- Obtained a temporary restraining order against the federal government in connection with a challenge to a federal rule affecting hospitals
- Chambers USA 2015 to 2022
- The Legal 500 US, 2016 to 2019, 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law, 2023
- Super Lawyers, 2014 to 2018 and 2020, Washington, DC
- Nightingale’s Healthcare News, named Outstanding Healthcare Fraud and Compliance Lawyers (2007), and Outstanding Healthcare Litigator (2008)
- Martindale-Hubbell™, Top Rated Lawyer, DC Metro Area, 2020
- Co-Chair, American Health Lawyers Association, Institute for Health Plan Law and Compliance Planning Committee
- District of Columbia Bar Association, former member board of governors
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice, National Advisory Council and former board member
Harvard Law School, JD, 1989
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, BS, 1986
District of Columbia