James Behrens focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions. He advises strategic companies and private equity firms in purchase, merger and related ancillary agreements, as well as limited liability company agreements, corporate by-laws and shareholders’ agreements.
James previously represented and advised debtors, ad hoc lender and bondholder groups, official committees, secured and unsecured creditors, asset purchasers, liquidating trustees and other parties in in-court and out-of-court restructuring matters, including section 363 sales, chapter 11 filings, DIP financing negotiations and bankruptcy-related litigation.
James clerked for the Honorable Deborah J. Saltzman of the US Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California. During law school, he externed for the Honorable Geraldine Mund for the US Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California.
- In re Verity Health System of California, Inc. (C.D. Cal.) – Counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors prior to plan confirmation, and the Liquidating Trustee following plan confirmation, in one of the largest healthcare bankruptcies in American history, involving 6 hospitals with over $1.4 billion of debt*
- In re John Q. Hammons Fall 2006, LLC (D. Kan.) – Represented plan proponent and purchaser of hotel assets located in 16 states*
- In re Ocean Rig UDW Inc. (Cayman Islands & SDNY) – Counsel to ad hoc group of lenders*
- In re Breitburn Energy Partners LP (SDNY) – Counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors*
*Matter handled prior to joining McDermott.
- The Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch in Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2022-2023
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2015 to 2021
- Next Gen Program, National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, 2019
UCLA School of Law, JD, 2011
University of Chicago, MA, 2008
Princeton University, BA, 2006
US District Court for the Central District of California
US District Court for the Eastern District of California
US District Court for the Northern District of California
US District Court for the Southern District of California
US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit