Kevin Spencer focuses his practice on tax controversy issues. Kevin represents clients in complicated tax disputes in court and before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at the IRS Appeals and Examination divisions.
In addition to his tax controversy practice, Kevin has broad experience advising clients on various tax issues, including tax accounting, employment and reasonable compensation, civil and criminal tax penalties, IRS procedures, reportable transactions and tax shelters, renewable energy, state and local tax, and private client matters. After earning his Master of Tax degree, Kevin had the privilege to clerk for the Honorable Robert P. Ruwe on the US Tax Court.
Kevin is a prolific writer and lecturer on a variety of tax topics, and is an active member of the Firm’s Pro Bono and Community Service Committee. He is an editor of the Firm’s Tax Controversy 360 blog.
- Print Media LLC, Cerberus YP LLC, Tax Matters Partner v. Commissioner (Tax Court Docket No. 2716-21)
- Lisa Mather v. Commissioner (Tax Court Docket No. 14444-21)
- Prime Healthcare Services – Montclair LLC v. Commissioner (Tax Court Docket No. 6721-19 (2019))
- Illinois Tool Works, Inc. v. Commissioner (T.C. Memo. 2018-121)
- Carlos O. Vargas v. Commissioner (Tax Court Docket No. 4793-18L)
- YP LLC v. Commissioner (Tax Court Docket Nos. 34101-18, 23295-18)
- PDV Holding, Inc. v. Commissioner (Tax Court Docket No. 22643-18)
- Uxbridge Solar LLC v. United States, 1:17-cv-00695-CFL (Fed. Cl.)
- CTC MA I, LLC v. United States, 1:17-cv-00498-LKG (Fed. Cl.)
- Kleen Tech Solutions, LLC v. United States, 1:17-cv-00999-SGB (Fed. Cl.)
- DiMare, Inc. v. Commissioner (Tax Court Docket No. 24396-13)
- John Hancock Life Ins. Co. v. Commissioner and Manufacturers Investment Corp. v. Commissioner, 141 T.C. No. 1 (2013)
- Mohammad A. Kakeh & Toni L. Kakeh v. Commissioner (Tax Court Docket No. 10728-13L)
- Goodrich Corp. v. United States, 2012 US Dist. LEXIS 5301 (W.D.N.C. Jan. 18, 2012) and Goodrich Corp. v. Commissioner, No. 29180-09 (Tax Ct. filed December 8, 2009)
- Capital One Fin. Corp. v. Commissioner, 659 F.3d 316 (4th Cir. 2011), aff’g 130 T.C. 147 (2008) and 133 T.C. 136 (2009)
- James Allen Barksdale v. Commissioner (Tax Court Docket No. 17696-08)
- Dragon Coeur LLC I-D Partnership; Edward H. Arnold, Tax Matters Partner v. Commissioner (Tax Court Docket No. 11305-07)
- Lexology Legal Influencers, Q2 2021
- Super Lawyers
- Washington DC’s Top Lawyers