Stuart Mathews advises on cross-border acquisitions and disposals, joint ventures, lending and security, commercial dispute resolution and commercial contracts.
Stuart counsels UK-, European-, African- and American-based clients on transactions in the United Kingdom, Europe, Eastern Europe, Africa and other developing markets. He represents entrepreneurs, high-net-worth families, private capital, emerging companies, large corporates (public and private) and state-owned entities in sectors such as mining, energy, agribusiness, manufacturing, technology and fiduciary services.
- Advised a state-owned oil and gas company on its $575 million acquisition of Ghanaian oil and gas rights, and separately, on its $166 million acquisition of South African oil and gas rights
- Advised a listed mining company with operations in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in relation to its offtake arrangements including various amendments thereto as conditions in the DRC changed
- Advised a privately owned global advisory, administration and family office firm on the sale of its private client and corporate services business, and separately on the sale of its fund administration and third party manco business
- Advised a fund on its investment into a forestry business in Ghana, and separately on its investment into a forestry business in Mozambique
- Advised a family office in relation to its investment in one of the largest global fitness brands, and the amalgamation of a healthy fast casual restaurant chain into the investment, and related shareholder and consortium arrangements
- Advised a listed technology company on the purchase of a leading provider of fintech solutions to micro, small and medium enterprises in Southern Africa
- Advised an emerging beer company on its distribution agreements in relation to the 2019 Cricket World Cup and related arrangements
- Advised family offices in relation to the constitutional arrangements of private protector companies in the context of high-net-worth family trust and succession planning
- Advised a family enterprise in relation to a joint venture in Mauritius to own and exploit intellectual property in relation to an efficient platinum group metals extraction process
- The Legal 500 UK, Recommended Lawyer in Corporate and Commercial: M&A £50m-£500m, 2017-2023
- IFLR 1000 Financial and Corporate, 2016 to 2022: “Highly Regarded”
- The Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom, M&A Law, 2023
- IFLR 1000 M&A, Mining, Energy 2020: “Leading Lawyer – Highly Regarded”
- IFLR 1000 Energy and Infrastructure, 2014 to 2016: “Leading Lawyer”