Todd S. McClelland advises companies on complex, international legal issues associated with cybersecurity breaches and compliance, data privacy compliance, and data, technology, cloud and outsourcing transactions. Todd counsels clients in many industries, including payment processors, cybersecurity product providers, retailers, petro companies, financial institutions and traditional brick-and-mortar companies. Todd is the global head of the Firm’s Global Privacy & Cybersecurity Practice Group.
Prior to his legal career, Todd was an engineer designing and programming industrial control, robotics and automation systems. This background gives him unique perspective and understanding of the technology underlying the cybersecurity and privacy issues he addresses.
Todd handles some of the largest and most well-known (and unknown) cybersecurity incidents, as well as pre-breach cyber activities, such as cyber tabletops, incident response plan design, leading client and vendor penetration testing, designing cyber risk management programs, and advising corporate boards on cybersecurity issues. He also has extensive experience with PCI/payment system compliance and incidents.
Todd advises clients on global data privacy compliance issues (e.g., GDPR, CCPA), including the establishment of data privacy programs and addressing unique privacy issues pertaining to AdTech and other evolving business models and technologies. He also focuses on cybersecurity and privacy issues associated with new technologies, such as “IoT” products, Industrial IoT, and artificial intelligence/machine learning.
In his outsourcing and technology practice, Todd is highly skilled in data licensing, cloud (e.g., SaaS, IaaS, PaaS), large scale systems integration projects (e.g., Microsoft Dynamics 365), traditional outsourcing (e.g., ITO, HRO, ADM, BPO), and new technology partnering initiatives (e.g., AI/ML, and Quantum).
Todd frequently speaks at professional seminars and has authored many articles on cybersecurity.
While in law school, Todd served as the executive editor for the Journal of Land Use and Environmental Law and contributed to the Florida State University Law Review.
- Represented a global business information concern in connection with a sophisticated APT intrusion by organized criminal actors that affected data assets and systems worldwide*
- Advised a global payment processor in connection with a complex cyber crime investigation involving a sophisticated APT intrusion*
- Represented a power distribution concern in a statewide comprehensive smart grid initiative*
- Represented a global transportation company in outsourcing components of its IT platform, international F&A functions and ADM functions*
- Represented a leading big-box home improvement store in outsourcing infrastructure management services*
- Represented a large independent power producer in sourcing multiple HR and IT processes*
*Matter handled prior to joining McDermott
- The Best Lawyers in America, IT Outsourcing Law, Information Technology Law, Technology Law, Privacy and Data Security Law (2014 to 2023), including 2022 “Lawyer of the Year” in IT Outsourcing Law
- Legal 500 US, 2022
- Chambers USA, Outsourcing
Florida State University, JD, 1998
Georgia Institute of Technology, BS, 1994
US Patent and Trademark Office
District of Columbia