Carolyn V. Metnick represents a range of healthcare industry clients, including hospitals and health systems, physician organizations and digital health companies. Carolyn advises on healthcare regulatory and transactional matters with a focus on health information privacy and security.
Carolyn advises clients on a range of privacy and security laws, including HIPAA and the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA). She also counsels businesses in data breach investigations and compliance with federal and state breach notification laws. Carolyn is a Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US) and a Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E).
Carolyn also represents healthcare industry clients in transactional matters. She guides clients through joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, and advises on healthcare regulatory issues. Her background as a former litigator helps inform her transactional work.
- American Arbitration Association Panel of Arbitrators, panelist
- American Heart Association Go Red for Women Campaign, executive leadership team member, 2018 to present
- American Health Lawyers Association, Transactions Program Planning Committee, 2018 to present; Business Law & Governance Practice Group, vice chair, 2012 to 2018; Governance Affinity Group, co-chair, 2009 to 2012
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys, president, 2019; board member, 2014 to 2020
- Illinois State Bar Association, Health Law Section Council, member, 2006 to present; chair, 2013 to 2014; vice chair, 2012 to 2013; associate editor of Health Care Lawyer, 2007 to 2008; member of Standing Committee on Professional Conduct, 2006 to 2008
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, member, 2017 to present
- Ballet Chicago, board member, secretary, 2012 to 2015
- The Junior League of Chicago, member, 2004 to present; new member chair-elect, 2009 to 2010; corporate relations chair, 2007 to 2009
- ILHIE Legal Task Force Patient Consent Subcommittee, 2011 to 2012
- University of Chicago Alumni Club of Chicago, board member, 2008 to 2011
- Chicago Bar Association, YLS Health & Hospital Law Committee, co-chair, 2006 to 2009
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services, child representative/guardian ad litem, 2004 to 2007
- St. Vincent de Paul Center, associate board president, 2005 to 2007; associate board member, 2004 to 2007
- Adjunct Instructor at University of Illinois-Chicago, School of Public Health, Health Policy and Administration Division, 2013 to 2019
Loyola University Chicago School of Law, LLM, 2007
Santa Clara University School of Law, JD, 2003
University of Chicago, BA, 2000
Courts / Agencies
US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
US District Court for the Northern District of Indiana