Diane M. Morgenthaler focuses her practice on employee benefits and executive compensation. She represents clients in matters before the US Internal Revenue Service, the Department of Labor and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation.
Diane serves as employee benefit counsel to Fortune 500 corporations and other global corporations, and represents both public and private clients. She regularly designs and implements a variety of employee benefit plans and programs. Diane has extensive experience in employee benefit issues involved in acquisitions, reorganizations and divestitures and in the design of employee benefits plans following such transactions. She also advises clients in matters involving multi-employer withdrawal liability, fiduciary liability and benefit claims.
Diane is the senior editor of the Firm’s Employee Benefits Blog.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in its $8.5 billion tax-free spin-off
- Represented a company in one of the year’s largest private transactions
- Negotiated multiemployer pension plan withdrawal
- Implemented an offshore pension plan for a company’s global expatriates
- Implemented a lump-sum window for a pension plan as part of a company’s de-risking strategy
- BTI Client Service All-Star, 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, 2021 to 2023
- Leading Lawyers 2020 to 2022, Leading Lawyer for Employee Benefits Law
- Chambers USA 2017 to 2022
- Law & Politics 2009 to 2015, Illinois Super Lawyer
- Acritas Stars 2020, listed among independently rated lawyers
- Law Bulletin Publishing Company, Leading Lawyer
- The Legal 500 United States 2019 and 2022
- Profit Sharing Council of America, shared a national award for redesigning and implementing a client’s retirement program
- Worldwide Employee Benefits Network, past president
Boston University School of Law, JD, 1987
Bryn Mawr College, AB, 1983