Megan R. Rooney focuses her practice on the representation of hospitals, health systems, and health care and life sciences companies. A former health care professional with firsthand clinical experience, Megan has unique insight into the business challenges and opportunities facing her clients. Throughout her tenure at the Firm, Megan has established a reputation as a service-oriented and experienced transactional attorney with more than 100 health care transactions to her credit. Clients seek Megan’s counsel to lead large deal teams that drive efficient and effective outcomes and achieve business goals.
Megan has in-depth knowledge in all aspects of health care transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, affiliations, joint ventures and system restructurings for hospitals and health care providers. Megan regularly advises hospital and health system clients on regulatory compliance with respect to licensure, accreditation, and other state and federal regulatory matters, including disclosures to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services pursuant to its Self-Referral Disclosure Program.
Megan served as an adjunct professor of law at Northwestern University School of Law for nearly a decade and has authored multiple publications on health care transactions.
- Transaction counsel for the consolidation of Providence Health & Services and St. Joseph Health System
- Outside counsel for Hackensack University Health Network for its consolidation with Meridian Health System
- Outside counsel for Hackensack University Health Network for its affiliation with Palisades Medical Center
- Outside counsel for ProMedica Health System for its divestiture of St. Luke’s Hospital
- Outside counsel for Providence Health & Services for its affiliation with Kadlec Regional Medical Center
- Transaction counsel for the consolidation of St. Joseph Health System and Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian
- Transaction counsel for the consolidation of Swedish Health Services and Providence Health & Services
- Chambers USA, 2019 to 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law, 2018 to 2023
- Super Lawyers Illinois, Rising Star, 2013 to 2021
- The Ambulatory M&A Advisor, Top Healthcare Transactions Lawyers, Leading Lawyer, 2016 to 2017
- Leading Lawyers, Emerging Lawyer in Health Law, 2015, 2017 and 2021
- American Health Lawyers Association, Pro Bono Champion, 2013
- Irish Legal 100, 2019
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys, Immediate Past President
- Animal Care League (a 501(c)(3) nonprofit animal shelter), Director
- American Health Lawyers Association
Northwestern University School of Law, JD, Certification in Health Law, 2006
University of Michigan, BS, Nursing, summa cum laude, 2003