Tomoki (Tom) Tanida focuses his practice on patent procurement and client counseling on infringement and validity.
To read Tom’s full biography in Japanese please click here.
Tom has extensive experience preparing and prosecuting patent applications before the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), as well as non-US patent offices, in technologies such as semiconductor electronics, analog circuits, telecommunication systems and computer software applications. He has performed patent infringement and validity analysis, and developed patent enforcement and defense strategies for domestic and foreign corporations. Tom also has experience handling technology export control issues.
Previously, Tom worked as a registered patent attorney in Japan. He has extensive experience with patent and trademark prosecution for Japanese and international clients before the Japan Patent Office. In relation to his prosecution practice, he has counseled clients on all aspects of intellectual property law in Japan, including copyright and unfair competition matters. He has also assisted clients on Japanese and international patent and trademark litigation.
Tom has earned bachelor’s degrees in law, electrical engineering and chemistry.
- Provides patent prosecution services for several large international electronics companies and their subsidiaries
- Prosecuted several strategic patents, which were successfully enforced against competitors in IP litigations on behalf of a Japanese company
- Advised a Japanese company on patent dispute issues in Germany, which successfully defeated a competitor’s patent infringement claim
- Assist a Japanese company develop guidelines for preparation and prosecution of patent applications in the United States, and with the evaluation of competitors’ patents
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Japan Patent Attorneys Association (1992-2015)
George Washington University Law School, LLM, 2002
Tokyo University of Science, BS, 1997
Tokyo University of Science, BE, 1995
Nihon University, LLB, 1992
District of Columbia
Courts / Agencies
US Patent and Trademark Office