Calum Thom represents clients on cross-border and domestic transactions including buy-outs, strategic M&A joint ventures and co-investments. Calum has a broad range of experience in a variety of industries including the pharmaceutical, health care, real estate, energy, chemicals and retail sectors.
- Represented Apposite Capital
– on its acquisition of a majority shareholding in CrestOptics, a world leader in the development and manufacture of advanced systems for fluorescence microscopy from XYence Capital SGR S.p.A. and management
– on the spin out of CrestOptics diagnostic business to management
- Represented Palamon Capital Partners LLP
– on its exit of Bissonte S.p.A. to LOOK Holdings; and
– on various equity arrangements of a number of acquisitions
- Represented Ampersand Capital Partners in its investment with KKR in a business combination of leading life sciences reagents and custom synthesis and manufacturing services companies, Biosynth Carbosynth and vivitide Inc.
- Represented Atalaya Capital on its indirect investment into a European portfolio of hotels and commercial property
- Represented Hidden Harbour Capital Partners on its acquisition of the Avtron Power Solutions group of companies from Schneider Electric USA Inc.
- Represented BehaVR Inc., in its merger with OxfordVR Limited, a UK-based spin-out of Oxford University and backed by Oxford Science Enterprises and Optum Ventures focused on virtual reality for health care treatments together with its subsequent Series B fundraising
- Represented Irving Oil in the acquisition of the Tedcastle group of companies, which operates under the brand name Top Oil and which has a portfolio of over 200 fuel forecourts throughout Ireland, a home fuel distribution division, an aviation fuel division based at Shannon Airport and a terminal in Dublin Port
- Represented Alsco Inc., one of the world’s largest textile rental and laundry companies, in the acquisition of CLEAN Linen Services, a UK market leader and one of the principal operators in the commercial B2B laundry sector with seven laundry production facilities
- Representing Irving Oil in its acquisition of the Whitegate oil refinery, County Cork, Ireland
- Represented Great Point Partners, a US-based healthcare private equity fund its leveraged buyout in the UK of Softbox Systems, a global provider of temperature controlled packing solutions for the pharmaceutical industry
- Represented Blue Gem Capital Partners LLP, a London-based private equity fund, in connection with the acquisition of makeup brand Iconic London and on its acquisition of The Cosmetic Skin Clinic
- Represented Empire, a US-based private equity fund, on its acquisitions of Sorst Streckmetall and The Expanded Metal Company, both Europe-based metal product manufacturers
- Represented H.I.G. Capital on its acquisition of Akcros Chemicals, an international producer of speciality chemical additives
- Represented Medtronic plc, a global medical technology firm, on its acquisition of Edinburgh-based health care device developer, Aircraft Medical Limited
- The Legal 500 UK, Recommended Lawyer in Corporate and Commercial: M&A Lower Mid-Market, 2021 – 2023
University of Edinburgh, Scotland, Diploma in Legal Practice, 2009
University of Aberdeen, Scotland, Bachelor of Law (LLB) in European Legal Studies, 2007
University of Maastricht, The Netherlands, 2005
The Law Society of Scotland