To help you stay up to date on the enforcement trends that might impact your compliance strategy, McDermott is pleased to invite you to the 2022 Enforcement Outlook webinar series. Attendees will receive practical guidance from our white-collar lawyers and occasional special guests, who share their inside knowledge from time working in government positions.
As expected when a new administration takes office, 2021 saw a surge in white-collar enforcement activity. There was a 12% increase in white-collar prosecutions during US President Joe Biden’s first year in office, and that number is expected to rise dramatically as the various government agencies have recently filled their rosters and spent time developing cases.
The Biden administration has identified anti-corruption as a “Core US National Security Interest,” directing US law enforcement agencies to prioritize imposing anti-corruption laws—including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). Companies with foreign operations or those doing business with foreign counterparties are vulnerable to increased enforcement actions, which can pose severe financial and reputational risks to the company and its executives.
Our team of former senior US Department of Justice (DOJ) and US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) officials have extensive experience prosecuting and defending against FCPA charges and will discuss strategies to help you remain diligent in anticipating and handling these challenges in a way that enhances—rather than disrupts—your business operations.
- Key takeaways from recent US anti-corruption enforcement actions
- President Biden’s ongoing anti-corruption initiative
- How companies are responding – identifying priorities in designing, implementing and auditing anti-corruption compliance programs
- Recent developments in Global anti-corruption enforcement
- Key considerations when designing, running an international anti-corruption program, conducting a cross-border internal investigation
Check out more timely topics from our 2022 Enforcement Outlook webinar series.