Art Dykhuis focuses his practice on complex patent litigation. He counsels clients in various technology areas, including pharmaceuticals, medical devices, electronics, software and mechanical devices. He has experience in district court, at the USPTO before the PTAB, and before the Federal Circuit. Art handles all aspects of litigation, including pre-trial investigations, initiating litigation, discovery, taking and defending depositions, working with experts and trial.
Prior to his legal career, Art worked as an engineer in the automotive industry, where he led teams in manufacturing and new product launches.
Art also maintains an active pro bono practice. Most recently, he successfully prosecuted a guardianship petition and appeared in appellate proceedings related to a wrongful conviction.
- Defended a pharmaceutical manufacturer through trial, where the asserted patent on an injection device was found invalid and not infringed (Sanofi-Aventis v. Mylan (D.N.J.))*
- Brought litigation relating to PCR technology to offset separate pending litigation brought by the defendant, resulting in a favorable settlement*
- Represented a leading network operator against claims of patent infringement relating to the encapsulation and carrying of various types of data across the transport network*
- Defended a smartphone manufacturer from assertion of nine patents relating to 3G and WiFi technologies*
- Represented a consumer electronics manufacturer by drafting petitions to the US Patent and Trademark Office for inter partes review of patents relating to LCD displays*
- Defended a manufacturer smartphone component supplier from claims of patent infringement relating to the layout of transistors and resistors in RF switches*
- Defended a leading telecommunications network provider from assertion of seven patents involving network restoration (failure recovery) techniques*
- Defended a cellular telephone manufacturer in the Eastern District of Texas from allegations of patent infringement for three patents involving spread spectrum signal detection, channel access protocols and wireless data rate control*
*Matter handled prior to joining McDermott.
- California Lawyers Association Wiley W. Manuel Award for pro bono service, 2020
Northwestern Pritzker School of Law, JD, magna cum laude, 2011
Calvin College, BSE, with Honors, Concentration in Mechanical Engineering, 2003
US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
US Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
US District Court for the Northern District of California
US District Court for the Central District of California
US District Court for the Southern District of California
US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
US District Court for the Northern District of Texas
US Patent and Trademark Office