Seth L. Friedman focuses his practice on the representation of US and international accounting firms and individual accountants in connection with federal and state litigation, arbitration and regulatory investigations by the US Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC), Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB), state licensing authorities and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. In addition to litigation and regulatory investigations, he regularly consults with major accounting firms on PCAOB registration requirements and inspection matters, internal investigations and independence related matters, and other risk-related issues. Seth handles matters for public and private accounting firms that arise from engagements to perform attest functions (both public and private), tax advice and compliance functions, and consulting or advisory work. Seth co-heads the Firm’s accounting liability practice.
Prior to joining the Firm, Seth was co-leader of the accounting liability practice of one of the world’s largest firms. Prior to that, he served over six years in the Offices of the General Counsel of two major US accounting firms, first as an assistant general counsel with KPMG USA, and subsequently as BDO USA’s Deputy General Counsel.
Seth has significant experience representing a wide variety of businesses in post-closing disputes and other litigation and regulatory matters that involve accounting and financial statement-related issues.
- Successfully represented multiple major US public audit firms and individual professionals in connection with investigations by the Divisions of Enforcement of the SEC, PCAOB and US Department of Justice regarding matters related to a range of federal laws, SEC and PCAOB rules and regulations, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, Generally Accepted Auditing Standards and PCAOB standards*
- Successfully represented several foreign public audit firms and their professionals in connection with various litigation and regulatory matters, including investigations by the SEC and PCAOB Division of Enforcement*
- Represented multiple major accounting firms in connection with federal securities litigation, involving claims under Sections 10(b) and 11 of the Securities Exchange Act*
- Represented numerous audit partners and audit firms in connection with investigations by state licensing authorities and the AICPA*
- Advised multiple major and small accounting firms in connection with a range of matters, including investigations (e.g. under Section 10A of the Securities Exchange Act) and compliance with federal and state regulatory requirements*
- Represented several major and mid-level accounting firms in connection with a range of litigation and third party matters, arising from matters of audit, tax and consulting/advisory work*
*Matter handled prior to joining McDermott.
Legal 500 US, 2022
- New York State Bar Association, member
- American Bar Association, member
- Adjunct Professor at Fordham University School of Law, 2009 to 2011
Georgetown University Law Center, JD, 1999
Binghamton University, BA, magna cum laude, 1995
Courts / Agencies
Supreme Court of the United States
US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
US District Court for the Southern District of New York
US District Court for the Southern District of Florida