Kevin Cummings is the partner-in-charge of the Firm’s UK Tax Practice.
Kevin is a senior, solutions-driven tax practitioner, having served as a tax partner from within both the legal sector and the Big Four – a hybrid background that enables Kevin to draw upon the strengths of both professions in delivering client advice.
Whilst Kevin is a highly relationship-driven adviser, he consistently brings technical excellence and first-rate execution to client service. He demonstrates breadth and depth of knowledge of domestic and international taxation across M&A, private equity, mainstream corporate matters, financial services, capital markets and private investing. Over time, Kevin has served a client base consisting predominantly of US, UK, Swiss and Japanese-headed groups.
Having sat on various industry tax committees over time alongside general counsel, heads of tax and CFOs, Kevin demonstrates an appreciation of the practical and market impacts of changes in law, regulation and circumstance, allowing Kevin’s advice to be delivered with the benefit of industry and client context.
- Advised US groups on European and UK inbound investment.*
- Advised UK and US groups on international expansion and group structuring.*
- Advised multinationals on efficient group structuring, profit repatriation and tax-free reorganizations, including in relation to permanent establishment taxation arising from computer servers and new, post-pandemic working patterns.*
- Advised financial institutions on all forms of banking and capital markets fundraising, including securitization, repackaging, CLO and CDO transactions.*
- Advised multinational groups on multiple forms of financing and refinancing structures.*
- Advised on most forms of M&A activity across multiple sectors, including banking, asset management, wealth management and fintech.*
- Advised on all forms of asset management transaction, including alternative investing through private equity, hedge funds and credit.*
- Advised widely on fund formation, related lifecycle transactions and exits, including by way of IPO.*
- Advised financial sponsors on counter-cyclical transactions and arrangements, including debt and equity restructurings and large loan portfolio transfers
- Advised widely on Brexit and other regulatory-driven European reorganizations across multiple sectors, including banking, capital markets, asset management, neo-banking and payment services.*
- Structured compensation and carry arrangements for fund principals.*
- Negotiated and agreed significant client rulings with HMRC.*
*Matter handled prior to joining McDermott
- The Legal 500 UK, Recommended Lawyer in Corporate Tax, 2023
- Chambers UK 2023, Tax
- Alternative Investment Management Tax Committee
- Alternative Credit Council Tax Committee
- HMRC and HM Treasury Working Groups, including on debt and derivative taxation reform, cryptoasset taxation, securitization and fund management
University of Cambridge, BA Law, 1996
University of Utrecht, International Law, 1994
England & Wales