Paul F. Lawrence advises for-profit and nonprofit companies in the health care services industry on mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, affiliations, dispositions and complex business transactions.
Paul has developed particular, in-depth knowledge in the representation of for-profit and nonprofit hospitals and health systems, pharmacy companies, dialysis companies, private equity firms and governmental and quasi-governmental bodies in the acquisition and divestiture of health care services-related businesses and business lines. These include asset transfers, and stock, merger, joint venture, lease and other affiliation transactions.
Paul serves as lead counsel on high-profile, multi-facility acute care for-profit and nonprofit hospital acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures, nationally and regionally, as well as a variety of smaller health care services company transactions designed to address the strategic positioning needs of clients.
Paul’s unique focus on mergers and acquisitions in the health care industry has given him the edge that is critical to the successful negotiation, documentation and closing of health industry transactions, including the ability to advise clients on the current trends and customs. He regularly helps clients navigate health care regulatory issues that arise in such transactions.
Paul also advises clients in connection with general corporate matters, general business transactions and the development and negotiation of complex contractual arrangements.
- Represented a client in connection with the successful acquisition of two acute care hospitals (located on three different campuses) from a nonprofit hospital system that had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection; the client was designated the “stalking horse” purchaser and participated in the debtor’s Bankruptcy Section 363 sale process
- Represented a client in connection with the divestiture of a two-campus acute care hospital in the client’s Bankruptcy Section 363 sale process
- Represented a client in connection with the acquisition of a two-campus nonprofit academic medical center, which transaction included the concurrent structuring of a long-term academic affiliation agreement between the client and a University
- Represented two integrated, full-service laboratory companies in connection with their sale to a national laboratory company
- Represented a client in connection with the sale of a substantial ownership interest in its large regional hospital, including the negotiation and documentation of a joint venture between a nonprofit/tax-exempt organization and a for-profit hospital system for hospital and outpatient services
- Represented a religious nonprofit hospital system in the divestiture of three of its regional hospitals to a three-party joint venture comprised of the divesting hospital system, a for-profit hospital system and another nonprofit hospital system
- Represented a national for-profit hospital system in its acquisition of a six-hospital, nonprofit system
- Represented a six-hospital religious nonprofit hospital system in the divesture of all of its hospitals and other operations to a private equity firm
- Represented hospital systems that have acquired one or more nonprofit community hospitals throughout the country, some of which have involved complex joint venture arrangements and others that have involved a complex state attorney general approval process
- Represented a private equity firm in connection with its acquisition of an interest in a company that provides hyperbaric services in multiple states
- Represented a client in connection with a joint venture to arrange for access to behavioral health care services
- Represented a private equity firm in connection with its acquisition of an interest in a national provider of hospitalist services
- Represented various clients in connection with transactions involving the acquisition, affiliation and/or strategic alliance with large, multi-specialty medical groups
- Represented a client in connection with a transaction involving multiple emergency care facilities
- Chambers USA, Band 2, 2010 to 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law, including 2020 “Lawyer of the Year,”2010 to 2021 and 2023
- Acritas Stars, listed among independently rated lawyers, 2020
- Nightingale’s Healthcare News, 2004 and 2008
- BTI, Client Service All-Stars, 2012
Harvard Law School, JD, 1991
University of California – Los Angeles, BA, summa cum laude, 1988