Jay E. Rivlin has extensive experience advising ultra-high net worth individuals and families on all aspects of their personal legal needs, including domestic and international estate, gift and tax planning, administration, cross-border issues, and controversy resolution; family office administration; business succession planning; family dispute resolution; charitable giving and private foundation administration; acquisition and ownership of private aircraft; as well as guardianship and planning matters for incapacitated persons. Jay is co-head of the Private Client practice in the Firm’s New York office.
Jay blends his real-world knowledge, technical expertise and practical approach to achieve clients’ goals as simply and efficiently as possible.
- Crafts simple and complex (as desired and as appropriate) estate plans for individuals and families with wealth from $25 million to billions of dollars
- Implemented numerous estate planning initiatives for well-known investment banking institution with exceptional success (passing in a single initiative more than $260 million to future generations free of most estate and gift taxes)
- Negotiated many valuation issues with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), including art valuations, blockage discounts, lack of marketability, lack of control and minority interest discounts
- Administered many estates ranging in total value from $25 million to more than $1 billion, with most estates involving many asset classes and assets in multiple jurisdictions
- Represented numerous clients in contested and uncontested guardianship proceedings, and trust and estate controversies
- The Best Lawyers in America 2012 to 2023, Trusts and Estates
- Chambers High Net Worth 2022, New York: Private Wealth
- American Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
Hofstra University Maurice A. Deane School of Law, JD, with distinction
Cornell University, BS