Daniel M. Simon represents public and private companies, secured and unsecured creditors, acquirers of distressed assets, and investors in all aspects of corporate restructuring transactions. He represents a diverse range of clients spanning numerous industries in complex and contentious bankruptcy cases.
Daniel regularly helps clients navigate large-scale, complex, corporate bankruptcies, cross-border restructurings and a variety of special distressed transactions across industries.
Daniel regularly lectures and publishes articles on restructuring topics, and has led several seminars held by leading industry organizations, including Turnaround Management Association. While in law school, Daniel served on the Duke Law Journal.
- Represents the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in Voyager Digital Holdings, Inc., as one of the first cryptocurrency exchanges to file chapter 11
- Represented Gulf Coast Health Care, LLC, an operator of 28 skilled nursing facilities through a contested chapter 11 process, ultimately confirming a chapter 11 plan after a five-day confirmation trial
- Represented Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust, a publicly-traded REIT and owner of malls, in its comprehensive restructuring through prepackaged chapter 11 cases*
- Represented the purchaser and provider of DIP financing for Lucky Brand Dungarees, LLC, effectuated through a sale of substantially all assets under section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code*
- Represented Inspire Brands, in connection with a sale of more than 70 distressed Sonic franchisees through a section 363 sale in chapter 11*
- Represented one of the largest fast-food franchisors—comprising nearly 2,500 locations—in connection with multiple distressed franchisees*
- Represented PHI, Inc., a publicly-traded helicopter operator and air medical provider, in connection with the successful reorganization and deleveraging transaction effectuated under chapter 11*
- Represented Orianna, a large owner and operator of skilled nursing facilities, in complex and contentious chapter 11 cases (In re 4 West Holdings, Inc.);*
- Represented Exelon Generation Company, as sponsor and purchaser, in connection with the chapter 11 cases (In re ExGen Texas Power, LLC)*
- Represented Vertellus Specialties Inc. and certain of its affiliates and subsidiaries, a global specialty chemical company, in connection with its chapter 11 reorganization*
- Represented Katy Industries, a global plastics manufacturer, in connection with its chapter 11 reorganization*
- Represented the DIP Lenders in the chapter 11 cases (In re Black Elk Energy Offshore Operations, LLC)*
- Acted as counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the chapter 11 cases (In re RAAM Global Energy Company)*
- Represented IMRIS, Inc., a publicly-traded medical device manufacturer, in its chapter 11 cases and proceeding under the Canadian Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act*
- Represented Alco Stores, Inc. retail stores, in connection with its chapter 11 cases*
- Represented Orchard Supply Hardware Stores, Inc., a publicly-traded hardware retailer primarily located in California, in connection with its chapter 11 cases and sale of substantially all assets to Lowe’s Corporation*
- Represented Trident Microsystems, Inc., a publicly-traded semiconductor supplier, in connection with its chapter 11 reorganization*
- Represented PJ Finance Company, an owner and operator of multi-family housing units, in connection with its chapter 11 cases*
- Represented Six Flags, Inc., a publicly-traded owner of amusement parks, in its highly contentious chapter 11 cases*
- Represented Fairfield Residential, an owner and operator of multi-family housing units, in connection with its chapter 11 reorganization*
- Represented PFF Bancorp., a bank holding company, in its chapter 11 cases*
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Polaroid Corporation, a manufacturer of cameras and film products, in its chapter 11 cases*
*Matter handled prior to joining McDermott.
- Legal 500 USA, Recommended Lawyer, 2022
- M&A Advisor Turnaround Award, Chapter 11 Reorganization of the Year, ExGen Texas Power and Divestment of Handley Power to Exelon ($100 million to $1 billion), 2019
- M&A Advisor Turnaround Award, Distressed M&A Deal of the Year, Reorganization of Katy Industries ($100 million to $250 million), 2018
- Daily Report, “On the Rise”, 2017
- M&A Advisor, Emerging Leaders Award, 2017
Duke University School of Law, JD, 2008
Vanderbilt University, BA, 2005