Jeffrey Steiner is the global head of the Firm’s Real Estate Finance Group, a member of the Firm’s Management Committee and brings more than 30 years’ experience to all areas of real estate finance, joint ventures, acquisitions and dispositions and leasing for the full spectrum of public, private, institutional and non-institutional clients. In particular, Jeff’s practice focuses on structuring, restructuring and managing complex real estate debt and equity investments and investment vehicles in the US and worldwide.
Jeff represents Wall Street investment banks, private equity firms, mortgage REITs, and other lenders and investors in all aspects of real estate and finance transactions, including construction, conduit, floating and fixed-rate financings, forward loan commitments, mezzanine loans, loan participations, low-income housing tax credit, complex office leasing and mortgage-backed securities transactions.
Jeff is repeatedly recognized in Chambers USA and has been named a New York Super Lawyer. In 2011, the National Law Journal named him to its list of Most Influential Lawyers in Real Estate. For more than 20 years, Jeff has been the byline author of the New York Law Journal’s monthly Real Estate Financing column.
- Represented a New York family office in its repositioning of the landmark office building at 11 Madison Avenue, including US headquarters leases for two major tenants and numerous others, and the subsequent sale of the property for more than $2.6 billion in what was then that largest single-office sale in US history*
- Represented a major international financial institution in its sale, purchase money financing and equity joint ventures with multiple private equity partners to dispose of its entire European portfolio of sub-performing commercial mortgage loans and CMBS for more than $5 billion of assets, and the later restructuring and workout of those loans*
- Represents a US mortgage REIT since its founding, subsequent IPO and implementation of various capitalization requirements, and in connection with its origination and syndication of more than $3 billion of mortgage and mezzanine loans throughout the US*
- Represents the mortgage lending arm of a major Wall Street firm in its development financing for office hotel and retail properties across the US, including the Dreamworks campus in Los Angeles, the Element Hotel LA, Doral Miami Beach, Curtis Center office tower in Philadelphia, and the Yorktown and South Towne Malls outside of Chicago and Salt Lake City, respectively*
*Matter handled prior to joining McDermott.
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2021 to 2023, Real Estate Law
- Legal 500 USA, Recommended Lawyer, 2022
- Chambers USA
- Super Lawyers, Top Rated Real Estate Attorney in New York, 2006 – 2017
- National Law Journal, Most Influential Lawyers in Real Estate, 2011
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York, member
- New York State Bar Association, member
Fordham University School of Law, JD, 1980
McGill University, Montreal, BA, 1977