Tala Jayadevan focuses her practice on complex civil litigation and white-collar criminal defense. Tala has represented clients through all stages of litigation, a number of which were resolved through jury trials. Her trial experience includes complex federal patent infringement, trade secret and antitrust jury trials. She has also defended clients in various complex civil litigation matters (including many healthcare litigation matters) that have been resolved through arbitrations and mediations. Tala has also represented clients in a number of criminal healthcare fraud matters, including cases with allegations of violations of the Stark law and Anti-Kickback Statute.
Tala currently serves as the Hiring Partner for the Los Angeles Office, and also participates in McDermott’s Diversity & Inclusion, Income Partner, and Pro Bono & Community Service committees.
Prior to joining McDermott, Tala was an extern at the US Court of International Trade, and a law clerk for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, Major Crimes Division.
- Defended hospital in a contractual dispute with a physician group, serving as lead counsel during an arbitration that resulted in a finding of no breach of contract. (2019).
- Defended Plantronics Inc., the leading maker of office headsets, in an antitrust jury trial against GN Netcom Inc. that resulted in a complete defense verdict in favor of her client after the jury deliberated for one hour (GN Netcom Inc. v. Plantronics Inc., US District Court for the District of Delaware, 2017)
- Defended BlackBerry Corporation in a patent infringement action involving wireless mobile phone technology and network infrastructure patents, in which the court found four out of the five patents at issue to be invalid or not infringed on summary judgment, and a jury found the remaining patent to be not infringed following a six-day jury trial (Mobile Telecommunications Technologies LLC v. Blackberry Corp., US District Court for the Northern District of Texas, 2016)
- Defended Diablo Technologies, Inc., in a complex trade secret jury trial against Netlist Inc., resulting in a defense verdict (Netlist Inc. v. Diablo Technologies Inc., US District Court for the Northern District of California, 2015)
- Defended BlackBerry Limited and BlackBerry Corporation in a complex federal patent infringement jury trial against NXP Semiconductors N.V., a multibillion-dollar company, resulting in a complete defense verdict (NXP B.V. v. BlackBerry Ltd., US District Court for the Middle District of Florida, 2014)
- Defended BlackBerry Limited and BlackBerry Corporation in a complex federal patent infringement jury trial, resulting in a favorable settlement (Innovative Sonic Limited v. Research in Motion Ltd., US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, 2013)
- Represented hospitals, board of directors, and health systems throughout internal investigations and False Claims Act (FCA) actions, resulting in the government’s decision not to intervene and favorable settlements with relators, or dismissals by relators
- Defended major construction companies in criminal investigations by the government that resulted in the settlement of the investigation without any criminal citations
- The Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch, Commercial Litigation and Health Care Law, 2022 to 2023
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2019 to 2021
- Western Center on Law and Poverty, Advisory Board (2015-2018)
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- SCS Noonan Scholars Mentor
University of Southern California – Gould School of Law, JD, Order of the Coif, 2012
Brown University, BA, 2009
Courts / Agencies
US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
US District Court for the Central District of California
US District Court for the Northern District of California