As the largest, most diverse and dynamic purchaser of goods and services in the world, the United States government offers advantages as a customer that few others can, including low payment and collection risk, stable demand and a commitment to using its purchasing power to stimulate innovation and the development of technologies with long-term commercial applications. But the opportunities of the federal market also carry a wide variety of significant and nuanced legal risks. Our Government Contracts practice draws on broad experience in all aspects of federal, state and local government procurement across industry sectors to help you grow your business, all while navigating with confidence the complex web of statutory, regulatory, contractual and common law requirements that govern the federal market.
We provide counsel based on a deep understanding of the full lifecycle of government acquisition, gleaned from our experience encompassing procurements by virtually every government agency. That experience includes assessing and resolving legal risks associated with new solicitations and opportunities; teaming agreement, subcontract and licensing negotiations; pre- and post-award bid protest litigation; and claims preparation and dispute resolution.
In complex disputes or investigations, or when litigation becomes necessary, you can rely on us for critical insights based on a track record of success:
- We regularly litigate cases where the government is a party before the US Court of Federal Claims (COFC), the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) and the Boards of Contract Appeals.
- We also litigate cases between contractors before Federal District Courts and state courts, Courts of Appeals and arbitrators across the country.
- With our Government Investigations colleagues, we conduct internal investigations, assist with mandatory and voluntary disclosures, and interface with government investigators, auditors, and suspension and debarment officials.
- We have extensive experience with the Cost Accounting Standards and Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) Cost Principles, and we represent contractors in complex cost accounting disputes and advise on the cost implications of mergers and acquisitions, business restructurings and reorganizations.
- We are also well-versed in the rules regarding organizational conflicts of interest (OCIs) and personal conflicts of interest (PCIs), which can help you identify and avoid conflicts whenever possible, as well as mitigating conflicts that cannot be avoided.
Our multi-disciplinary approach to practicing law sets us apart. As a focused group of Chambers-ranked Government Contracts practitioners, with skills developed through decades of practical experience, we partner with top-ranked colleagues in our Corporate, Government Investigations, Labor and Employment, Global Privacy & Cybersecurity, Antitrust and Healthcare practices to solve your most complex problems.