Michael L. Boykins is the office managing partner for the Firm’s Chicago office. He focuses his practice on corporate finance, representing corporate and individual lenders, investors and borrowers in connection with secured and unsecured credit facilities, asset-based lending, high-yield financings, employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) financings, acquisition financings, over-the-counter derivatives, insurance industry financings, senior subordinated debt, mezzanine and venture capital transactions. Michael also represents debtor committees and secured creditors in debt restructurings and workouts.
Michael advises issuers and underwriters in debt and equity public offerings and other types of secured transactions. On behalf of insurance companies and other institutional investors, he provides counsel in connection with the private placement of debt and related equity investments and exit strategies. Michael draws on his deep experience with the structure and issuance of convertible and nonconvertible debt and equity securities, and secured and unsecured financings, to advise clients on a wide range of US and international equity derivatives transactions, including swaps and over-the-counter derivatives.
Michael is a member of the Firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee and was past chair of the Racial and Ethnic Diversity Sub-Committee.
- Chambers USA 2009 to 2022, Illinois: Banking & Finance
- The Legal 500 US 2016 to 2022
- American College of Investment Counsel, fellow
- LINK Unlimited, board of directors, executive committee and chair of recruitment committee
- Boys & Girls Club of Chicago, board of directors
- Chicago Committee on Minorities in Large Law Firms, past member of board of directors and former co-chair of strategic planning and nominating committees
University of Wisconsin Law School, JD, 1990
University of Wisconsin – Madison, BS, Economics, 1987