Christopher M. Bruno focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation matters, primarily involving patents, trade secrets, and related contract disputes. Chris’s patent caseload has included complex litigation involving pharmaceutical, immunology, medical device, agritech and computing systems technology.
In the area of pharmaceuticals, Chris has experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in small-molecule and biologics patent infringement actions related to antibiotics, overactive bladder solid oral dosage forms, gastrointestinal disease treatments, cancer-treatment drugs, sleep aid medications, topical psoriasis lotions, and fungal infection ointments in federal district court, including Arazlo®, Cubicin®, Bryhali®, Duobrii®, Gemzar®, Glumetza®, Hetlioz®, Jublia®, Lunesta®, Myrbetriq®, Reclast®, Remicade®, Sensipar®, Tecfidera®, Topicort®, Uceris®, Xifaxan®, and Zometa®. Chris has participated on trial teams in high-stakes, high-profile litigation in pharmaceutical and agritech cases, and has collaborated on matters before the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the US Supreme Court. Notably, Chris was one of the first attorneys to litigate novel issues of statutory construction of the Biologics Price Competition and Innovation Act.
In the area of computing systems, Chris has experience representing defendants in technical and non-technical aspects of litigation. As one example, representing a large retail restaurant chain as the lead defendant in a large defense group, Chris was just weeks away from what would have been one of the first trials in the ever-evolving area of Section 101 invalidity. Leveraging an ability to translate complicated subject matter into arguments understandable by non-technical judges and juries, Chris has had success handling cases with nascent technologies in the field.
Chris also serves as a member of the Firm’s Income Partner Committee and as a mentor to numerous IP group associates.
Chris served as law clerk to the Hon. Todd M. Hughes for the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and the Hon. Gail J. Standish for the US District Court for the Central District of California.
- Represents an innovator pharmaceutical company against two generic manufacturers seeking to launch a sleep medication
- Represents a pharmaceutical company in two patent infringement litigations against generics seeking to market topical dermatological products
- Represents a pharmaceutical company in a novel FDA regulatory proceeding involving a proposed rejection of a supplemental new drug application
- Counsels a startup technology company regarding intellectual property portfolio development
- Serves as lead counsel in a federal appeal, including in the US Supreme Court, on behalf of a criminal defendant challenging his conviction based on ineffective assistance of counsel
- Achieved a complete win at trial for a pharmaceutical manufacturer in a two-product, four-patent case involving psoriasis topical treatments
- Successfully represented a payment processing company defending a trademark infringement litigation brought by debt collection company, resulting in a critical denial of a preliminary injunction
- Successfully represented a drug manufacturer in a 12-patent case against several generic pharmaceutical companies involving a formulation treating toenail fungal infections
- Successfully represented a charitable non-profit hospital suing an orthopaedic implant manufacturer/distributor for patent infringement based on patents covering improved orthopaedic polyethylene
- Served as trial counsel for a third-party logistics provider in a copyright and trade secret dispute with a software development company
- Successfully served as lead counsel in a federal appeal on behalf of a criminal defendant challenging the length in his sentence
- Represented a large retail hospitality provider in a computing systems technology patent infringement action*
- Successfully represented an agricultural chemical business plaintiff in a patent infringement and contract dispute resulting in a $1 billion jury damages award*
- Successfully represented generic pharmaceutical manufacturer at trial invalidating antibiotic patents, resulting in an earlier-than-anticipated launch*
- Successfully represented a prominent prize-awarding institution against a claim of defamation*
- Represented a territorial government in tax disputes in US Tax Court and several courts of appeals to protect its economic development program*
- Successfully defeated class certification involving many thousands of employees in wage & hour employment dispute on behalf of a large healthcare provider*
- Successfully represented a veteran in a pro bono matter seeking further review of a request for an increase in benefits*
- Achieved favorable settlement on behalf of a victim of a fraudulent mortgage modification in pro bono representation*
*Matter handled prior to joining McDermott.
- Federal Circuit Bar Association, Member, Amicus, Patent Litigation, Rules, and Federal Circuit Bar Journal Committees, and Hatch-Waxman/BPCIA Subcommittee
- Intellectual Property Owners Association, Member, Patent Litigation Committee
George Washington University School of Law, JD, with high honors, Order of the Coif, 2009
George Washington University, BA, Political Communications, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 2006
District of Columbia
Courts / Agencies
US Supreme Court
US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
US District Court for the District of Columbia
US District Court for the Southern District of New York
US Tax Court