Dr. Gero Burwitz advises clients on national and international tax law. He focuses his practice on corporate taxation, in particular international and European tax law, the taxation of partnerships and corporations, income tax law, personal corporate taxes, as well as representation in court, including the “Federal Fiscal Court”.
Gero is especially experienced in fundamental issues of wage taxation, including compliance issues, the representation of companies in connection with criminal tax investigations against employees, and the taxation of non-profit organizations. He is also a certified tax lawyer.
Prior to joining McDermott, he worked for a major German law firm and for Raupach & Wollert-Elmendorff (Deloitte’s cooperation partner in Germany) as a tax lawyer. He completed his legal clerkship in Munich, Brussels, and New York.
Gero is the author of numerous articles on tax law issues, a regular contributor to the Neue Zeitschrift für Gesellschaftsrecht (NZG), responsible for the tax law section, and a commentator in Herrmann/Heuer/Raupach
- Handelsblatt/Best Lawyers™ Germany 2021-2023: Leading Lawyer for Tax Law
- World Tax Review 2022, Highly Regarded
- JUVE Tax Handbuch 2021-2022: Frequently recommended
- International Fiscal Association
- Association of certified tax Lawyers
- German-American Lawyers Association
- Osnabrücker Steuerforum