Sandra (Sandy) M. DiVarco focuses her practice on the representation of hospitals and health systems. She has counseled health care facility and system clients regarding all aspects of health law transactions and health system restructurings.
In addition to maintaining an active transactional practice, Sandy has a deep knowledge of regulatory, licensing and accreditation issues of particular concern to health care providers in today’s heightened enforcement climate. Sandy regularly advises clients on the legal aspects of clinical regulatory issues and policy/procedure and operational matters. A significant component of her practice involves assisting health care provider clients across the United States with regulatory, licensure and accreditation issues, including state-level and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) survey responses, formulation of successful plans of correction, Joint Commission complaint responses and Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA)/regulatory investigations. Drawing on her experience as a registered nurse, and holding a current license in the state of Illinois, Sandy brings a pragmatic perspective and first-hand knowledge of health care operations to these complex and mission-critical matters.
Sandy has worked extensively with Catholic organizations within health care and other business areas on transactions, restructurings and internal inquiries.
Prior to practicing law, Sandy worked in an intensive care unit as a registered nurse and as a risk manager at a large academic medical center in Chicago. While in law school, she was a member of the Loyola Law Journal and served as a student articles editor.
Sandy also co-leads the Firm’s Hospitals and Health Systems Representation affinity group, which brings together McDermott lawyers from within and outside the Health Industry Advisory Practice Group to develop thought leadership, share information and collaborate on best practices. She is a member of the Firm’s Gender Diversity Committee.
- Served as lead outside counsel for multiple internationally renowned health care system on complex survey matters encompassing clinical care, laboratory, governance, life safety and medical staff
- Brought to closing a heavily negotiated, twelve-hospital system member substitution transaction
- Structured a related-party hospital acquisition involving unique state regulatory issues and negotiating post-closing covenants to comply with Ethical and Religious Directives for Health Care
- Manage complex licensing matters for a twelve-hospital system undergoing an operational merger and name change
- Counsel hospital clients preparing for interviews and hearings with the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS)
- Serves as primary outside counsel contact for a nonprofit health-related charity on all corporate and tax-exemption matters
- Facilitate communication and negotiation with CMS on novel hospital survey and certification matters
- Advise numerous hospital clients on EMTALA compliance, responding to statement of deficiencies and guide responses to related quality improvement organization (QIO) investigations
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Illinois Association of Health Law Attorneys
Loyola University of Chicago School of Law, JD, cum laude, 2002
University of Illinois at Chicago, BSN, with honors, 1994