Kevin J. Feeley focuses his practice on the taxation of complex transactions, with particular emphasis on structuring and implementing partnership and limited liability company transactions, including joint ventures and private equity investments. In addition, Kevin has extensive experience in structuring mergers and acquisitions, tax-free reorganizations, recapitalizations and restructurings of financially troubled companies. He also has advised closely held companies, family offices, S corporations and cooperative organizations on tax planning issues and strategies.
Kevin advises sponsors of and investors in private equity funds, hedge funds and other alternative investment structures. His work for sponsors includes advising on the acquisitions and dispositions of portfolio companies, and structuring roll-over equity for sellers, partnership equity compensation arrangements for management, and blocker arrangements for tax-exempt and foreign investors. He also counsels a number of large pension funds and university endowments on the tax implications of alternative investments.
Kevin has authored a number of articles and is a frequent lecturer on federal tax topics, having spoken before a number of professional organizations and trade associations, including Tax Executives Institute (TEI) chapter meetings and the Chicago Tax Club. While in law school, he was executive editor of the Law Review. Kevin has also been an adjunct faculty member at Chicago Kent College of Law and DePaul University School of Law.
- Advised on a co-investment structure for a multibillion-dollar private equity acquisition of a publicly traded asset manager
- Advised on up-C acquisition structures in the health care and food sectors
- Advised on the sales of an NBA franchise and an MLB franchise
- Developed a profits unit plan for management of a multibillion-dollar distressed asset fund
- Developed cross board acquisition structures for private equity sponsors in multiple jurisdictions
- The Best Lawyers in America 2013 to 2023, Tax Law
- World Tax, International Tax Review 2018 – 2022, Leading Advisor
- Chicago-Kent College of Law Annual Federal Tax Institute, Planning Committee
- Journal of Taxation of Corporate Transactions, former advisory board member
Loyola University of Chicago School of Law, JD, cum laude, 1990
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, BS, with honors, 1987
Supreme Court of the United States
US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
US Tax Court