Gregory E. Fosheim provides counsel on a wide array of corporate, transactional and regulatory compliance matters across the healthcare and life sciences industry. Drawing on his extensive laboratory and public health background and insight, he regularly advises on clinical and diagnostic laboratory matters, anatomic pathology and fertility laboratory compliance. Greg also represents hospitals, health systems and physician practice management companies in all aspects of transactional and operational matters, particularly those with regulatory, licensing, accreditation and policy considerations, and he has negotiated several acquisitions and sales of proton therapy centers.
During Greg’s time as a microbiologist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, he routinely advised and trained hospital and public health laboratories in various techniques and best practices, including infection control, quality assurance, quality management systems and compliance with the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments. He also addressed many national and international hospital outbreaks. Now, clients turn to him for legal counsel on outbreak response and emergency preparedness. Greg uses his public health background to write, speak and advise on quality, access and equity in the provision of healthcare services, with a particular focus on helping covered entities navigate compliance with the nondiscrimination provisions of Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act.
Greg works as part of McDermott’s multidisciplinary cannabis industry team to provide clients with regulatory, litigation, intellectual property, trade and tax services regarding their investments and participation in the cannabis industry. He also provides counsel to nonprofit organizations regarding corporate governance and fiduciary responsibilities.
Prior to joining McDermott, Greg interned for the Honorable Amy Totenberg of the US District Court for the Northern District of Georgia.
- Counseled a health system in navigating a complex, multi-million dollar unwind and settlement arrangement with another health system where it was the sole corporate member.
- Advised a gastroenterology physician practice management platform in its expansion efforts.
- Guided several cancer centers in the acquisition and sale of proton therapy equipment.
- Advised and coordinated nationwide litigation defense of nursing homes and aging serves providers.
- Counseled many clients, including numerous health systems, a Fortune 50 insurance company and a private university, on compliance with Section 1557 nondiscrimination requirements.
- Served as a member of the MWE team to file an amicus brief with the US Supreme Court on behalf of Freedom For All Americans in the mater of Fulton v. Philadelphia.
- Served as the principal researcher and subject matter expert in the molecular epidemiology and strain characterization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.
- The Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch – Health Care Law, 2021 to 2023
- Legal 500 US, Rising Star, 2021 to 2022
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys
- National LGBT Bar Association
- Lesbian and Gay Bar Association of Chicago
- Howard Brown Health, Board Member, Vernita Gray Council
Georgia State University College of Law, JD, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 2014
Emory University Rollins School of Public Health, MPH, 2003
Luther College, BA, 2001