With a focus on complex transactions and regulatory compliance, Patrick Healy represents a wide range of healthcare industry participants, including non-profit and for-profit health systems, academic medical centers, physician organizations, post-acute providers and health plans. He works alongside his clients to execute their most critical transactions and strategic initiatives, leveraging corporate and healthcare regulatory expertise to drive an efficient and client-oriented approach to achieving his client’s business goals. Patrick has helped his clients navigate and successfully close more than 100 healthcare transactions with a focus on mergers, acquisitions, strategic affiliations, classic and contractual joint ventures and joint operating arrangements.
Patrick also routinely advises clients on a variety of transactional and regulatory matters related to value-based payment programs and delivery systems, leveraging his health economics and healthcare policy backgrounds in doing so. He assists accountable care organizations (Medicare, Medicaid, commercial) and other clinically integrated networks with formation, regulatory compliance, physician and management company joint ventures and participating provider relationships. Patrick advises hospitals and physician groups on their participation in Medicare, Medicaid, commercial bundled-payment and population health payment programs.
Patrick also represents several medication-assisted treatment (MAT) providers and other substance use disorder (SUD) treatment providers with respect to growth strategy and transactions and regulatory compliance, including telehealth providers and portfolio companies operating on a physician practice management platform.
Prior to practicing law, Patrick obtained a Masters in Health Economics from the London School of Economics and was the senior research assistant for health policy in the Economic Studies Program at The Brookings Institution—a Washington, D.C. think tank consistently ranked as the most influential in the world.
- Advised Northwestern Medicine (Northwestern Memorial HealthCare) on hospital and health system acquisitions and affiliations since 2013, resulting in an expansion from two hospitals to a 10-hospital network, as well as an affiliation with Northwestern Medical Group—the faculty practice organization for the faculty of Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine
- Counseled Michigan Medicine (University of Michigan) on health system and health plan acquisitions, affiliations, and joint ventures since 2016, including the acquisition of the Metro Health system; a whole hospital joint venture of St. Joseph Chelsea Hospital with Trinity Health; an oncology joint operating arrangement with Trinity Health; the acquisition of an interest in Physicians Health Plan HMO from Sparrow Health System; and a pediatric joint venture with Sparrow Health System
- Provided guidance to Hartford HealthCare on its hospital, clinical laboratory, radiology, and post-acute provider acquisitions, sale transactions, and joint ventures since 2014, including the acquisition of St. Vincent’s Medical Center from Ascension Health; the acquisition of Charlotte Hungerford Hospital; the sale of its hospital clinical laboratory outreach business to Quest Diagnostics; and hospital-physician radiology joint ventures
- Counseled Universal Health Services on the development of new ACOs and ACO joint ventures with physicians and management companies around the country
- Advised Reliant Medical Group, a 500+ clinician non-profit, multispecialty physician group, in the sale of its assets (requiring approval from the Massachusetts Attorney General) to OptumCare, a division of UnitedHealth Group
- Provided guidance to CleanSlate Addiction Treatment Centers, a growth-equity backed provider of physician office-based opioid treatment (OBOT), on the expansion of the client’s footprint from one state into 11
- Advised Providence Health & Services on the sale its clinical laboratory outreach business in Southern California to Quest Diagnostics
- The Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch in Health Care Law, 2022 to 2023
- Boston’s Future Leaders program, Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce in collaboration with Harvard Business School
- McDermott Hospitals and Health Systems Key Initiative, co-head
- American Health Lawyers Association, Pro Bono Champion
Georgetown University Law Center, JD, cum laude
London School of Economics and Political Science, MSc, with Merit
University of Notre Dame, BA, magna cum laude