Hendrik Viaene focuses his practice on competition law, regulated markets and regulatory law. He advises clients across a wide range of related issues including state aid, cartels, licensing agreements, merger filings, M&A negotiations, abuse of dominance cases, and distribution agreements.
Hendrik assists governments as well as privately and publicly owned companies. He has a wealth of experience in a range of sector such as energy, chemicals, paints, automotive, financial data, recycling and waste management, telecom, construction, renewables, media, private equity and the financial industry.
Hendrik represents companies before national competition authorities and before the European Commission in state aid, cartel, merger, and abuse of dominance investigations. He also assists governments and companies on defence strategies as well as compliance programmes to avoid fines or having to refund or recover state aid.
Hendrik has successfully guided clients through first and second phase investigations in merger clearance proceedings before competition authorities across the globe. He also counsels clients on compliance audits, immunity and leniency initiatives, and general risk avoidance in relation to competition law.
Hendrik has additional experience in intellectual property rights licensing initiatives specifically with regard to restrictions imposed by competition law.
During his career he has represented clients in proceedings before the European Commission, the European Court of Justice, the Belgian Competition Authority, the Brussels Court of Appeals, the New Caledonian Competition Authority, the Paris Court of Appeals, and the Luxembourg Competition Authority. He acted as co-counsel for other clients for most major competition authorities worldwide, and he also audited a number of competition authorities’ operations and output as a subject matter expert.
Hendrik is managing partner of the Firm’s Brussels office.
- Assisted several governments and government entities in developing COVID-19 related state aid initiatives, successfully notifying at and obtaining state aid clearance from the European Commission*
- Assisted a company in abuse of dominant position complaint proceedings before the European Commission, extracting commitments from the dominant company allowing our client to obtain access to an energy market in the European Union*
- Assisted companies in the healthcare industry during cartel and abuse of dominance investigations by national competition authorities, including dawn raids*
- Assisted several clients in setting up and implementing regional or global competition compliance systems, carrying out internal investigations, counseling on whether to file for immunity/leniency, and (co)representing these clients before several competition authorities*
- Assisting market leading companies in engaging in discussions about strategic co-operations in a competition law safe environment, drafting co-operation agreements in compliance with competition laws, and notifying such co-operations and transactions to the competent competition authorities*
- Multijurisdictional filing of a joint venture agreement in the real estate industry with the European Commission and several non-EU competition authorities*
*Matter handled prior to joining McDermott
- The Best Lawyers in Belgium 2023, Competition / Antitrust Law
- Chambers Global, Competition / European State Aid Law, 2022 – 2023
- Chambers Europe, Competition Law, 2022 – 2023
- Legal 500 EMEA 2022, Leading Individual in Competition: Belgian Law
- IFLR 1000 2022, Rising Star, Competition
- Who’s Who Legal 2021, Global Leader, Competition – State Aid
- Benchmark Litigation 2020, Competition/ Antitrust, Belgium
King’s College London, LLM European Law, 1999
University of Gent, MA Law, 1998