John T. Lutz advises clients on the tax aspects of investment funds, structured finance, derivatives and structured products. He also counsels clients on matters related to insurance products, investment tax credits, conventional US and cross-border securities offerings, and corporate mergers and acquisitions. John represents a number of tax-exempt organizations in connection with their investment activities and incentive compensation arrangements.
John handles all aspects of tax-advantaged financings and investments for financial institutions, investment fund managers, high net worth individuals and investors. He represents banks and investment managers in connection with asset backed securities including collateralized loan obligations, structured notes and repackagings.
John is a recognized leader in the tax aspects of municipal derivatives and tax-exempt bond securitizations. He provides tax advice to derivative products dealers in the domestic and cross-border contexts, advising on US and international tax issues related to insurance products, equity swaps, repurchase agreements, structured notes and offshore structured finance vehicles.
- The Legal 500 United States, 2021 and 2022
- Turnaround & Workouts, Bankruptcy Tax Specialists in the Nation’s Major Law Firms, 2022
- Chambers USA 2017 – 2022, Ranked in Band 3, Tax-New York
- The Best Lawyers in America 2012 to 2023, Tax Law
- Super Lawyer 2009 to 2020
- World Tax, International Tax Review 2017
- American College of Tax Counsel, fellow
- New Jersey Economic Development Authority
- New York State Bar Association, Tax Section, Executive Committee (2000 to 2004, 2008 to 2022)
- Villanova University School of Law, Board of Consultors, 2o22
- American Bar Association
- International Tax Institute, board member
New York University School of Law, LLM
Villanova University School of Law, JD
University of Notre Dame, BBA