M. Read Moore provides legal counsel on all aspects of estate planning, estate and trust administration, tax controversy, and privately owned business governance and succession planning. He has considerable experience in the international aspects of the private client practice, including inbound investment and wealth transfers to the United States, the US tax and legal aspects of non-US private company and wealth management structures, and US tax compliance for clients with global investments and assets.
From his base in the San Francisco Bay area, Read works with clients across the United States and around the world on innovative planning and tax and non-tax controversies for private companies, domestic and foreign trusts, and wealthy family groups. Read speaks frequently at national and international conferences and is a recognized authority on domestic and international estate planning and tax issues.
- Coordinated the prosecution and settlement of a ten-year, multibillion-dollar multi-jurisdictional trust termination action for the benefit of a US family
- Developed and implemented a comprehensive corporate governance and business succession plan for substantial privately owned US-based global business
- Coordinated the preparation of a federal estate tax return for a substantial US estate and then managed the multi-year estate tax examination and claim for refund
- Provided Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) compliance analysis and advice for international private wealth structures involving non-US trusts, private trust companies and investment companies
- Structured and implemented foreign and domestic trust-based plans for direct investment by multi-jurisdictional families in US real estate and operating businesses
- Private Client Global Elite 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America 2012–2023, Trusts and Estates, including Trusts and Estates “Lawyer of the Year” in 2012, 2018, 2021 and 2023 in San Francisco area
- Chambers USA 2012–2016, Wealth Management
- Chambers High Net Worth 2016–2022, Northern California, Private Wealth Law and USA, Private Wealth: Western Region
- Chambers Global 2014–2020, Global-wide, International Private Client
- Citywealth Leaders List, 2018
- International Trusts and Private Client Elite, Legal Week
- Private Client Global Elite 2018 and 2019, Legal Week
- Law & Politics, Northern California Super Lawyer
- PLC Which Lawyer?
- The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow
- International Academy of Estate and Trust Law, Academician and member of the Coucil
- Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning Advisory Committee
- ACTEC Journal, past editor in chief