Michael Murray’s litigation practice includes commercial matters, bankruptcies, class actions, and other complex litigations in federal and state courts, arbitration proceedings, and appeals. He represents clients in a variety of sectors, including healthcare, financial services, and private equity.
Michael also maintains an active pro bono practice, representing foreign nationals seeking asylum protection in the United States due to homophobia and hate crimes in their home countries. He has also represented indigent clients in criminal appeals and habeas petitions.
Prior to joining McDermott, Michael worked in global law firms and financial services companies in New York and Tokyo.
- Represents a health insurer in a series of putative class actions alleging ERISA, antitrust, RICO, and state law violations regarding the health insurer’s payment practices, plan interpretation, and use of specialty networks
- Represented major health insurer in a number of arbitration disputes brought by one of the largest for-profit hospital systems in the nation alleging underpayment of contracted healthcare claims; after multiple multi-week arbitration hearings and post-hearing briefing, leveraged favorable results to ultimately drive a global resolution of pending arbitrations.
- Defended major pharmaceutical company in an arbitration for an alleged breach of a joint venture agreement. Achieved a complete victory with no damages awarded*
- Drafted appellate briefing defending financial advisor in shareholder derivative suit. Achieved a complete victory with the case dismissed*
- Defended a translation services company against trade secret misappropriation claims stemming for failed transaction*
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in M&A purchase price adjustment arbitration*
- Represented a multinational financial services firm in responding to regulatory inquiries and exams, with a focus on futures and swaps trading*
- Conducted an internal investigation into potentially fraudulent medical claims related to a professional sports settlement*
- Defended a medical record management company against class action suit*
- Represented companies in the energy, paper and printing, and technology sectors through their Chapter 11 proceedings in the United States Bankruptcy Courts*
* Matter handled prior to joining McDermott
New York University School of Law, JD, 2017
Yale University, BA, 2009
US District Court for the Eastern District of New York
US District Court for the Southern District of New York