Matthew J. Perreault advises healthcare organizations on complex transactions and sophisticated value-based care arrangements, and related fraud and abuse matters. Matt advises health plans, accountable care organizations (ACOs), Direct Contracting Entities (DCEs), diverse provider, care management and provider services organizations on a wide range of complex value-based care agreements including shared savings, bundled payments, downside risk and capitation arrangements.
In addition to health plans, Matt represents ACOs, DCEs, integrated delivery networks and other healthcare providers, including hospitals and health systems, specialty providers, physician practices and innovative primary care organizations on a wide range of acquisitions, affiliations, reorganizations and other transactions.
Related to the transactions and contractual arrangements described above, Matt also regularly advises healthcare clients on regulatory and fraud and abuse matters, including the physician self-referral law (Stark Law) and the Anti-Kickback Statute, and general healthcare law and compliance matters.
Prior to joining McDermott, Matt was deputy general counsel for a large private health system where he served as the lead lawyer for its ACO, multi-specialty physician practice and hospital physician contracting. He also held positions of increasing responsibility at a national vertically integrated renal care company.
- Advised numerous provider organizations and intermediary entities with respect to all aspects of participation in the CMS Direct Contracting Model, including formation and operation of DCEs, development of downstream participating provider and preferred provider agreements, and various regulatory compliance matters
- Drafted multi-state participating provider and shared savings agreements for a leading ACO
- Represented an ACO in negotiating quality incentive, shared savings and risk agreements with commercial, Medicare Advantage and state Medicaid managed care payors
- Counseled a national non-profit healthcare system regarding Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute compliant value-based arrangements
- Advised a large private health system on its physician practice acquisitions, employment agreements, and other clinical and administrative affiliations in connection with strategic market expansions
- Developed a physician employment agreement template for the affiliated physician practices of a prominent specialty hospital system
- Represented a large private health system in its successful formation and operation of a Next Generation ACO, a Medicare Shared Savings Program ACO and a Medicaid ACO
- Assisted clients in government investigations and conducting internal investigations into regulatory compliance matters
- American Health Lawyers Association
University of North Carolina School of Law, JD, 2006
Bates College, BA, 2000