Michael S. Poulos concentrates his practice on complex litigation relating to consumer fraud, securities, insurance and professional malpractice litigation, as well as various forms of governmental investigations by the SEC, US Attorney’s office and other agencies. He is experienced representing clients from Fortune 500 companies to small closely held corporations.
Michael has substantial first-chair trial experience in state and federal courts throughout the United States. He has obtained favorable trial verdicts in complex securities class action cases, as well as acted as lead trial counsel in the multi-million “tax shelter” litigation brought against one of the largest accounting firms, and coordinated the defense of civil actions filed by taxpayers throughout the United States.
Michael also serves as Partner in Charge of the Firm Strategy. In that capacity, Michael works with the Firm’s practice group leaders, sector leaders and geography leaders in the creation and implementation of the Firm’s strategic initiatives and growth. Michael also is a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee and Management Committee. Prior to joining the Firm, he was the co-managing partner, Americas, for a large international law firm.
- In re Granada Securities Litigation, MDL No. 837 (W.D. Mich.): First-chair in a securities class action in which the plaintiffs sought in excess of $1 billion in damages from a law firm and an accounting firm; handled all aspects of pre-trial litigation, including class-action evidentiary hearing and bar-order fairness hearing*
- Cordial v. John Gianola, et al., No. 92-C-B930 (Cir. Ct. Kanawha Cty., West Virginia): Action by Department of Insurance of West Virginia against accounting firm seeking in excess of $95 million in damages in connection with the failure of Blue Cross Blue Shield of West Virginia*
- R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co. v. Dibrell Inc., No. 90 CVS 7007 (Forsyth Cty., North Carolina) and No. 90 CV D058B (M.D.N.C.): Actions filed in federal and state court by R.J. Reynolds (and others) seeking in excess of $50 million in damages in connection with the sale of an affiliate to a third-party buyer*
*Matter handled prior to joining McDermott.
- BTI Client Service All-Star, 2020
- American Bar Association, member
- American Corporate Counsel Association, member
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, JD, Order of the Coif, 1986
Grinnell College, BS, 1983
US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
US District Court for the Northern District of Ohio