Thomas P. Steindler, head of the Intellectual Property Litigation Practice Group in Washington, DC, focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation along with complex commercial and administrative litigation. He has appeared in state and federal courts at all levels and has argued before the US Supreme Court. He is consistently recognized by Washington Super Lawyers as one of the leading intellectual property litigators in Washington, DC.
In the intellectual property arena, Thomas has acted as lead counsel in patent litigation across the country in a wide variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, vaccines, diagnostics, medical devices and other industries, at the district court level and in the Federal Circuit. In addition, he has handled licensing and collaboration disputes, false advertising and false patent marking cases, as well as trade secret/non-compete cases.
In the commercial and administrative arena, Thomas has handled a wide range of matters extending from savings and loan goodwill cases to appeals of telecommunications regulations.
- Acted for a major pharmaceutical company in a billion-dollar international arbitration in successful defense of a claim for royalties under licensing agreements with regard to the company’s biggest selling product.
- Acted as lead counsel in securing a complete victory for Bausch Health in Hatch-Waxman litigation against Padagis LLC with regard to topical products for treatment of psoriasis.
- Acted as lead counsel for a U.S. biotech company in successful arbitration of dispute with French licensee pertaining to license of AAV vectors for gene therapy products.
- Acted as lead counsel for a global pharmaceutical company in a successful arbitration of a high-stakes licensing dispute involving HCV inhibitor technology.
- Acted as lead counsel for Bausch Health in Hatch-Waxman litigation involving an azole antifungal indicated for the topical treatment for onychomycosis.
- Acted as lead counsel for Bausch Health in patent litigation involving budesonide.
- Acted as lead counsel for Solta Medical in series of patent litigations involving fractional laser technology.
- Acted as lead counsel for Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation in case brought by Plexxikon, Inc. involving B-Raf inhibitors.
- Acted as lead counsel for Novartis Pharma AG in patent litigation against Biogen Idec, Inc., Medimmune, LLC, and Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc., related to improved expression systems for recombinant proteins using CMV Promoter technology.
- Acted as lead counsel for Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics, Inc., in patent litigation against Microbix, Inc., related to an egg-based process for manufacturing flu vaccines, including acting as global coordinator of companion patent litigation in Germany and Italy.
- Acted as lead counsel for Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics, Inc., in arbitration proceedings against Ortho Clinical Diagnostics, Inc., for disputes arising out of a joint business agreement for the development and sale of diagnostic products to detect hepatitis viruses and human immunodeficiency viruses using recombinant DNA and antibody technologies.
- Acted as lead counsel for Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics, Inc., in a judicial appeal by Alphavax, Inc., of an adverse decision by the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences in an interference proceeding relating to vaccination methods using alphaviruses.
- Represented Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics, Inc., in interference proceeding at the US Patent and Trademark Office against Sanofi on counts related to conjugate vaccines to prevent meningitis.
- Acted as lead counsel for Alcon Laboratories, Inc., in a series of disputes with collaboration partners related to contact lenses and intraocular lenses designs.
- Acted as lead counsel for CIBA Vision and Alcon Laboratories, Inc., in a series of Lanham Act/false advertising disputes related to contact lenses and intraocular lenses.
- Acted as lead counsel for CIBA Vision Corporation in patent litigation against Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc., related to silicone hydrogel contact lens technology, including acting as global coordinator of companion pan-European patent litigation.
- Represented Wesley Jessen Corp. in patent litigation against Bausch & Lomb related to silicone hydrogel contact lens technology.
- LMG Life Sciences 2021-2022 – Leading Life Sciences Lawyer
- LMG Life Sciences, Shortlisted for General Patent Litigator of the Year – DC Metro, 2021
- Legal 500 US, 2021 and 2022
- Managing Intellectual Property, IP Stars, 2020 & 2021
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners, 2017 to 2022
George Washington University Law School, JD, 1985
University of Oxford, MA, 1980
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, BA, 1978
District of Columbia
Courts / Agencies
Supreme Court of the United States
US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
US Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
US District Court for the District of Columbia
US Court of Federal Claims