Benton (Ben) Curtis, a former federal prosecutor and experienced trial attorney, focuses his practice on leading matters, both domestically and abroad, that involve government enforcement defense, internal investigations, compliance counseling, and due diligence regarding third parties and business transactions. Ben regularly represents clients before, and in litigation against, government agencies, including clients accused of health care fraud, kickback violations, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations, money laundering, and securities fraud. Ben likewise regularly represents corporations and high net worth individuals who have been victimized through internal or third-party misconduct, often in the form of an exceptional theft or fraud.
Ben has tried more than 25 federal jury trials in district courts all around the country, and calls upon that experience when counseling his clients in truly high-stakes matters. Ben’s capabilities stem, in large part, from his previous ten years with the US Department of Justice (DOJ), which lengthy tenure included extended stints in Miami, Washington, DC, and Los Angeles. In his last position, Ben served for almost five years as an Assistant Chief in DOJ’s Criminal Division, Fraud Section, where he supervised numerous large-scale health care fraud investigations and prosecutions around the country. He also oversaw significant FCPA investigations related to the entertainment and gaming industries in Asia, and a number of insider trading and high-yield investment matters.
- Regularly conduct internal investigations on behalf of clients, often times portfolio companies of clients, in response to discovery of fraud or compliance-related conduct.
- Regularly represent health care providers, both individual and corporate, in False Claims Act matters pursued by US Department of Justice.
- Obtained probationary sentence for President of pharmaceutical manufacturer in connection with misbranding prosecution brought by US Department of Justice.
- Obtained declination of criminal investigation being conducted by US Department of Justice into former C-suite executive of health care company.
- Represent former financial advisor accused of laundering proceeds illicitly obtained through PDVSA-related kickback scheme.
- Represent employees of professional sports organization in connection with FCPA and OFAC investigation conducted by US Department of Justice.
- Represented board-certified addiction medicine specialist accused of $681 million substance abuse treatment fraud.
- Represented former South American minister in connection with US Department of Justice FCPA and money laundering investigation.
- Represented President of South American football association in connection with US Department of Justice’s corruption investigation of FIFA.
- Represented former CFO of government contractor in connection with criminal investigation by SIGAR and US Department of Justice.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice with no exchange of consideration for AM Law 50 law firm and partner who were accused of defamation, false light, and tortious interference with business relations.
- Represent global plastics company in obtaining preliminary injunction against former employee based on trade secret and non-compete violations.
- Represented global medical device company in obtaining temporary restraining order and preliminary and permanent injunctions against former employees who attempted to sell misbranded and adulterated devices.
- Represent BVI-based entity in civil action against former registered investment advisor and firm accused of a multi-million dollar fraud against the entity.
- Represented Aruban state-owned entity in civil action against former procurement officer and numerous former vendors (domestic and foreign), alleging elaborate kickback and bid-rigging scheme between the officer and vendors.
- Represented joint venture in metals recycling industry in civil action against former employee and competitors, alleging kickback and theft scheme between numerous former employees and competitors.
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2023
- Chambers USA, 2021 and 2022, Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations
- Legal 500 US, 2021 and 2022
- Dade County Bar Association, Rising Legal Superstar, 2018
- Assistant Attorney General’s Exceptional Service Award, 2011
- Florida Bar Association, member
Samford University Cumberland School of Law, JD, 2001
Springhill College, BA, 1997