David M. Santangelo represents life sciences and biopharmaceutical companies in a variety of corporate transactions and commercial undertakings with peer companies, universities and academic institutions, including licenses and collaborations, product acquisitions and dispositions, distribution arrangements, development agreements, manufacturing and supply agreements, services agreements, clinical trial agreements, sponsored research agreements, quality agreements and technology transfers. He advises industry clients at all stages of the product life cycle on their strategic alliances and all manner of commercial contracting relevant to both their daily operations and long-term planning. David serves as an outside general counsel to many early stage and smaller clients, and as a trusted advisor to more mature, middle market and large cap companies, both public and private.
Prior to making the life sciences sector his key area of focus, David also counseled public and private companies in the energy, technology, telecommunications and consumer goods industries, advising clients on an array of transactions, including stock and asset acquisitions, mergers, spin-offs, tender offers and joint ventures. David also represented public companies in connection with public offerings and private placements of debt securities, high-net-worth individuals and family offices in connection with venture capital and early stage ventures and investments, and counseled various other clients on corporate governance and compliance matters.
- Represented Icosavax, EQRx International, Scaffold Therapeutics, AffyImmune Therapeutics, Charles River Laboratories, Pasithea Therapeutics, Spine BioPharma, Deerfield Management, Societal CDMO (f/k/a Recro Gainesville)*, Baudax Bio*, Seagen (f/k/a Seattle Genetics)*, Enterin*, Aro Biotherapeutics*, Windtree Therapeutics*, Edwards Lifesciences*, Code Bio*, KBP Biosciences*, Personal Genome Diagnostics (PGDx)*, FlowMetric*, Cognition Therapeutics*, TELA Bio*, BioXcel Therapeutics*, Purdue Pharma* and/or their affiliates or portfolio companies in connection with the negotiation of various research, development, collaboration, material transfer, manufacturing, supply, distribution, services, clinical trial, quality assurance and similar arrangements.
- Represented Organicell Regenerative Medicine in its negotiation and entry into a Joint Development Agreement and Supply Agreement with The Beauty Health Company (NASDAQ: SKIN) to create a first-to-market exosome booster that will address signs of aging and inflammation in the skin by leveraging novel exosome technology based regenerative medical therapies that, once developed, will be available as a customized treatment addition for Beauty Health Company’s flagship brand, Hydrafacial.
- Represented Surgical Planning Associates, Inc. (SPA) in its negotiation and entry into an exclusive co-marketing agreement with Zimmer, Inc., an affiliate of Zimmer Biomet Holdings Inc. (NYSE: ZBH), pursuant to which SPA granted to Zimmer, Inc. the exclusive right to market SPA’s mixed reality guidance system approved by the FDA, better known as HipInsight, for use in navigation and mixed augmented reality guidance for hip arthroplasty, in combination with SPA’s pre-operative CT-based 3D planning process for hip arthroplasty.
- Represented Baxter International Inc., and its affiliates, in the acquisition of certain intellectual property from affiliates of Pfizer Inc. related to the manufacture and commercialization of a branded product in the United States, and in the negotiation of a transitional license agreement covering a 15 month profit sharing term during which time Pfizer will continue to commercialize such branded product in the United States and the parties will share the net profits from such sales.
- Represented Ocugen, Inc. in connection with its entry into a Co-Development, Supply and Commercialization Agreement with Bharat Biotech International Limited, pursuant to which Ocugen obtained an exclusive right and license under certain of Bharat Biotech’s intellectual property rights to develop, manufacture and commercialize COVAXIN® for the prevention of COVID-19 caused by SARS-CoV-2 in humans in the United States*
- Counsel to Ocugen, Inc. in connection with its entry into a co-development and commercialization agreement with a company headquartered in China for the co-development and worldwide commercialization of a novel gene therapy*
- Advised Edwards Lifesciences Corporation in connection with its entry into an exclusive license and supply agreement fort the development, commercialization, manufacture and supply of certain medical devices for use in applications within the cardiovascular field*
- Advised Recro Pharma Inc. and its affiliate, Recro Gainesville LLC, in connection with Recro Gainesville’s entry into a manufacturing and supply agreement with Novartis Pharma AG as it relates to Ritalin NA and Focalin XR capsules*
- Represented Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Inc. in connection with its disposition of a portfolio of US-based assets and rights for the treatment od respiratory diseases and conditions to Covis Pharma BV*
- Represented Windtree Therapeutics, Inc. in connection with its entry into an exclusive license and collaboration agreement for the development and commercialization of its KL4 Surfactant Technology Platform in Asia with Lee Pharmaceutical (HK) Limited*
- Advised Aevi Genomic Medicine Inc. in connection with its entry into a clinical development and option agreement with Kyowa Hakko Kirin Co., Ltd. for the development and potential commercialization of a first-in-class anti-LIGHT monoclonal antibody for the treatment of severe pediatric onset IBD and other indications*
- Advised Fibrocell Science, Inc. in connection with its entry into an exclusive channel collaboration agreement with Intrexon Corporation for the development and commercialization of generically modified fibroblasts to treat chronic inflammatory and degenerative diseases of joint, including arthritis and related conditions*
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in connection with its negotiation of a research collaboration and exclusive option agreement with a privately owned biotherapeutics company*
- Advised an international pharmaceutical company in connection with its negotiation of a collaboration and license agreement with a publicly traded biopharmaceutical company*
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in connection with its entry into option and asset purchase agreements with a privately owned company specializing in light infusion therapies*
- Served as counsel to an international pharmaceutical company in connection with its negotiation of a license, development and commercialization agreement with a privately owned clinical stage drug discovery and development company*
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in connection with its negotiation of a license agreement with the subsidiary of a global biopharmaceutical company*
- Counseled Mundipharma International Corporation Limited and Mundipharma Medical Company in connection with their entry into strategic collaboration and supply agreements with Allos Therapeutics, Inc.*
- Advised Mundipharma International Corporation Limited and Purdue Pharma LP in connection with their entry into strategic alliance agreements with Infinity Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in the areas of oncology and analgesics*
- Represented Purdue Pharma LP in connection with its asset acquisition of Dilaudid® from a global, publicly traded research-based biopharmaceutical company*
- Advised Purdue Pharma LP and its network of independent associated companies in connection with the settlement of patent litigation related to OxyContin®*
- Represented The Southern Cross Group in connection with proposed venture capital investments in a Latin American homebuilder and Canadian oil/natural gas company*
- Represented Rockwell Collins, Inc. in its acquisition of all the outstanding stock of Anzus, Inc., a software manufacturer*
- Served as counsel to Arcor SAIC (Grupo Arcor), and Argentine confectionary company, in connection with its offering of $200 million aggregate principal amount of non-convertible notes issued pursuant to the company’s short and medium term note program*
- Advised Arvin Meritor, Inc. in connection with its $200 million Rule 144A private offering of its four percent convertible senior notes due 2027*
- Represented Arroyo Energy Investors LP, a subsidiary of the Bear Sterns Companies, Inc. in connection with the purchase of Arroyo of a portfolio of energy projects and power assets from Delta Power Holdings, LLC*
- Served as counsel to Fortune Brands, Inc., in the spin-off of its ACCO World Corporation office products unit and the subsequent merger of ACCO with General Binding Corporation*
- Represented El Paso Corporation in connection with its sale of a portfolio of energy projects and power assets in excess of $700 million; its sale of a major power project in Linden, New Jersey; and its sale of cogeneration facilities in Camden, Bayonne and Newark, New Jersey*
- Advised Conexant Systems, Inc. in connection with the merger of its wireless communications business with Alpha Industries, Inc., following the spin-off of Conexant’s wireless communications business to Conexant shareholders*
*Matter handled prior to joining McDermott.
Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, JD, 2001
Cornell University, BA, with distinction, 1998