Brad Giordano is a partner in the Business Restructuring group. Brad focuses his practice on representing debtors, creditors, direct lenders, ad hoc groups, sponsors and strategic investors in all aspects of complex in-court and out-of-court corporate restructurings.
Brad is frequently consulted by leading private equity investors, hedge funds, and private credit lenders on domestic and international insolvency and restructuring issues, as well as on strategic acquisitions or dispositions of distressed assets. Brad has played a key role in some of the most significant corporate reorganization cases across a variety of industries, including among others, healthcare, retail, energy, technology, hospitality, media, airlines, aircraft manufacturing, telecom and heavy machinery.
Recognized as a leading restructuring lawyer by Chambers USA, among other publications, Brad has earned praise from clients for being “thoughtful, responsive, and aggressive,” “commercial in every sense,” and delivering “much better than expected outcomes.” Additionally, Brad was listed by the American Bankruptcy Institute as a recipient of their 40 Under 40 Award.
- Representing LBC Credit Partners in distressed disposition of Hufcor, a leading manufacturer of operable partitions and movable glass walls
- Representing Prospect Hill Growth Partners in the acquisition and divestiture of certain portfolio companies
- Representing HIG Capital in the acquisition and divestiture of numerous portfolio companies
- Representing CEO of Fast Radius, a market-leading cloud manufacturing and logistics platform, in its Chapter 11 cases and 363 sale process
- Represented Diamond Crystal Brands, a leading food and beverage packaging company, in comprehensive out of court debt and equity restructuring
- Represented independent directors of affiliates of Nordic Aviation Capital in connection with their chapter 11 restructuring of approximately $8 billion of debt and liabilities
- Represented senior secured lender in out of court restructuring negotiations with distressed cloud communications company.
- Represented independent directors of JUUL Labs in connection with various strategic transactions
- Represented Quorum Health Corporation in its pre-packaged Chapter 11 cases involving the restructuring of approximately $1.5 billion of funded debt. The successful restructuring took place during the Covid-19 pandemic and ultimately resulted in the successful deleveraging of Quorum’s balance sheet by approximately $500 million. This work was awarded the Pre-Pack Restructuring of the Year – Large Markets recognition as part of Global M&A Network’s 13th Annual Turnaround Atlas Awards
- Represented the crossover lender group in Nine West’s, a leading American fashion wholesale and retail company, chapter 11 cases*
- Represented Ameriforge Group, Inc., a global provider of technology and manufacturing capabilities to the energy industry, in its pre-packaged Chapter 11 cases resulting in the deleveraging of their balance sheet by approximately $680 million*
- Represented an affiliate of EQT Corporation, a leading integrated energy company, in connection with its strategic $527 million acquisition of Stone Energy Corporation’s Appalachian assets through a competitive bankruptcy auction overseen by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas*
- Represented Avaya Inc., a leading multinational technology company, in its Chapter 11 cases involving more than $6 billion in funded debt obligations, with annual revenues in excess of $3 billion. The successful restructuring was awarded “Mega Company Transaction of the Year” by the Turnaround Management Association in 2018*
- Represented Dex Media, Inc., an industry-leading international media and marketing company, with $2.5 billion of funded debt obligations, in connection with its Chapter 11 cases*
- Represented Oro Negro, a Mexican offshore drilling company, in its Norwegian bond merger process*
- Represented Sabine Oil & Gas, an independent oil and gas exploration production company, with $2.6 billion in outstanding funded debt obligations, in connection with its Chapter 11 cases in the Southern District of New York. The successful restructuring was awarded “Large Company Transaction of the Year” by the Turnaround Management Association in 2017*
- Represented GSE Environmental, Inc., a global manufacturer and marketer of geosynthetic lining solutions, in connection with its prearranged Chapter 11 cases, in which the company’s secured creditors agreed to equitize $170 million in funded debt. GSE’s Chapter 11 plan of reorganization was confirmed in less than 3 months after filing*
- Represented YRC Worldwide, Inc., one of the largest less-than-truckload (LTL) transportation businesses operating in North America and China, with all aspects of its successful and comprehensive refinancing of over $1.1 billion in secured indebtedness and a $300 million debt for equity conversion of certain of its convertible notes*
- Represented Platinum Energy Solutions Inc., a Houston, Texas based oilfield services provider, in a successful out-of-court restructuring including an exchange offer for Platinum’s 14.25% senior secured notes, the retirement of more than 55% of Platinum’s debt, and the elimination of more than $90 million of contingent and other liabilities*
- Represented Hawker Beechcraft, Inc., a world-leading manufacturer of business, special mission, light attack, and trainer aircraft, in its prearranged Chapter 11 cases. Prior to filing, Hawker Beechcraft reached an agreement with multiple senior secured lenders and senior bondholders on a financial restructuring plan that would equitize $2.5 billion of funded debt and avoid $125 million of annual interest expense. The successful restructuring was awarded “Mega Company Turnaround of the Year” by the Turnaround Management Association in 2013*
- Represented MS Resorts, a luxury hotel portfolio consisting of five iconic resort properties, with related real estate properties in its Chapter 11 reorganization of approximately $1.9 billion of liabilities. The hotel portfolio included: the Grand Wailea Resort Hotel & Spa; the La Quinta Resort & Club and PGA West; the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa; the Doral Golf Resort & Spa; and the Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. The restructuring included a section 363 sale of the Doral to an affiliate of the Trump Organization*
- Represented DBSD North America, Inc., a development-stage enterprise that was designing and developing an integrated satellite and terrestrial services network to deliver wireless satellite communications services, in its Chapter 11 cases in the US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York*
- Represented InSight Health Services Corp., a leading medical diagnostic imaging services provider in their prepackaged Chapter 11 restructuring, which converted to equity the InSight’s senior secured notes and eliminated approximately $300 million of debt*
- Represented North American Petroleum Corporation USA, an independent exploration and production company, that predominantly engages in unconventional well drilling operations for natural gas extraction, in the reorganization of its operations and debt and the implementation of a restructuring transaction through domestic Chapter 11 cases and a concurrent Canadian recognition proceeding*
- Represented Neff Corp., a leading heavy equipment rental company, in a prearranged Chapter 11 restructuring involving approximately $600 million in indebtedness. The successful restructuring was awarded “Mid-Size Company Transaction of the Year” by the Turnaround Management Association in 2011*
- Represented Japan Airlines Corporation, Asia’s largest air carrier, as international restructuring counsel advising on all aspects of the restructuring of its global operations and representation in connection with Chapter 15 cases before the US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York*
*Matter handled prior to joining McDermott.
- Chambers USA 2022
- Best Lawyers in America 2023, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- American Bankruptcy Institute, 40 Under 40, 2020
- Legal 500 USA, Recommended Lawyer, 2022
- M&A Advisor’s Restructuring of the Year ($1B to $5B) Award – Quorum Health Corporation, 2021
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch 2021, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
University of Virginia, JD
DePauw University, BA, magna cum laude
US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois