Christopher Gladbach counsels clients in energy M&A, project development, tax equity and project finance transactions.
Chris works with energy clients in structuring complex equity and debt investments, advises both buyers and sellers in the power sector in mergers and acquisitions, and joint ventures, and on the development of large-scale energy projects. He assists his clients in mitigating and allocating risk associated with these transactions in conjunction with achieving their primary business and financial objectives.
Chris has extensive experience advising clients pursuing opportunities involving the development and financing of United States Department of Defense (DoD) energy projects. He counsels developers, purchasers, lenders and tax equity investors in government contracts and structuring project development and financing arrangements to account for unique risks.
In addition, Chris represents market-leading private equity funds and institutional investors in power asset transactions, and understands the unique challenges and opportunities that these clients face.
Chris is recognized nationally for his client work in the energy sector. He was awarded the honor of “Rising Star” by the National Law Journal, demonstrating “success on the highest stages” in managing transactions for clients. Chris was also commended by the Financial Times in their Innovative Lawyers Report in the category of “Driving Value” for clients. He has been recognized by the Legal 500 for his work in project finance and has served for three years running on Law360’s Project Finance Editorial Board. Chris also serves on the American Council on Renewable Energy’s (ACORE) Leadership Council.
Chris is a frequent speaker and writer on topics related to M&A, private equity and institutional investments in power assets.
Mergers and Acquisitions, Private Equity and Institutional Investors
- Represented a leading wind developer in the sale of four large wind farms (totaling over 950 MWs) to tax-efficient strategic investors*
- Represented a sponsor in the sale of a portfolio of solar projects throughout competitive power markets in the United States*
- Represented a community solar developer in the sale of a portfolio of community solar gardens to a strategic investor*
- Represented a first-tier private equity fund in providing development equity financing of a portfolio of biomass investments*
- Represented a private equity fund in the acquisition of a portfolio of eight different solar projects*
- Represented a private equity fund in an acquisition transaction involving a portfolio of anaerobic digestion facilities*
- Represented a private equity fund in fund formation and investment activities involving renewable energy projects in Japan*
- Represented Doral Renewables and its affiliated companies in a series of complex and layered financing transactions aggregating $685 million for the development, construction and operation of the 400MW Mammoth North solar project located in Starke County, Indiana, the first of three phases of what will become the 1.3GW Mammoth Solar Farm, the largest integrated photovoltaic solar electricity generating facility in the US
- Represented a prominent sponsor and its affiliated companies in the negotiation and documentation of a construction loan facility and a letter of credit facility needed for the development of an Illinois-based 259.8-megawatt wind project
- Represented a number of sponsors in a several commercial and industrial (C&I) and traditional utility power purchase transactions (for projects collectively totaling over 2000 MWs)*
- Represented US utilities and electric cooperatives in wind and solar power purchase transactions for long-term electric power supply*
- Represented Japanese and inbound developers and investors in the development of several renewable energy projects in Japan, including EPC and other construction arrangements, contracts for turbine or panel supply, and joint development arrangements*
- Represented a developer in EPC, BOP and other construction arrangements for a hybrid wind and solar projects*
Project and Tax Equity Financings
- Several sponsors in obtaining more than $6 billion in construction and term debt financing for wind and solar projects*
- Represented one of the world’s largest wind energy developers in connection with tax equity financings for wind energy projects located in New York, Oklahoma, California, Illinois and Texas*
- Represented a turbine manufacturer and developer in tax equity financing and sale of an energy-hedged portfolio of three merchant wind projects with a value of between $900 million and $1 billion*
- Represented developers and investors in connection with DoD’s renewable energy procurement programs, including the MATOC*
- Represented the sponsor on the government-contracting aspects of Air Force project development, tax equity financing and purchase and sale of solar project*
- Represented the project sponsor in a hybrid wind, solar and conventional power project to supply energy to the largest Army military installation in the United States*
Cooperative and Utility Financings
- Represented several generation and transmission cooperatives in obtaining more than $10 billion in financings through syndicated credit facilities, 4(2) private placements, 144A capital markets transactions, and tax-exempt financings*
*Matter handled prior to joining McDermott.
- Chambers USA, USA: Nationwide – Projects: Power & Renewables: Transactional, 2022
- Law360, Rising Star: Project Finance, 2021
- Law 360, Project Finance Editorial Advisory Board, 2018 to 2020
- Legal 500 USA, Project Finance Law, 2022
- Financial Times, North American Innovative Lawyers Report, 2017
- National Law Journal, DC Rising Star, 2017
- American Council of Renewable Energy (ACORE)
- Leadership counsel member
- Lead author of ACORE’s comments to the US Army EITF’s model PPA
Georgetown University Law Center, JD
Georgetown University, BA, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
District of Columbia