David A. Lipkin focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and related securities law matters for companies in the technology and life sciences sectors. He represents both public and private acquirers and target companies, as well as special committees, in large, complex and sophisticated M&A transactions, including tender offers, negotiated mergers and other acquisition structures involving both strategic investors and private equity firms.
In addition to his work as M&A counsel to a wide range of companies, David also has extensive experience in the representation of bulge bracket and middle market investment banking firms in their financial advisory and fairness opinion activities.
David served for three years as co-chair of the Western M&A Forum sponsored by Thomson Reuters. In addition to his extensive law firm experience, he served for five years as corporate counsel and chief information officer for a subsidiary of Xerox Corporation.
Acquisitions and Dispositions of Publicly-Traded Companies
- Represented Nicholas Enterprises, a company owned and controlled by Henry Nicholas III, Ph.D., co-founder of Broadcom Corporation, in connection with Broadcom’s acquisition by Avago ($37 billion)
- Represented Japanese wireless carrier SoftBank in its acquisition of a 78% stake in wireless operator Sprint Nextel ($21.6 billion) and in connection with Sprint’s acquisition of the remainder of Clearwire Corporation not already owned by it ($3 billion)
- Represented Leapfrog Enterprises, Inc. in its acquisition by VTech ($100 million)
- Represented Auris Surgical Robotics, Inc. in its acquisition of Hansen Medical, Inc. ($100 million)
- Represented Gilead Sciences, Inc. in its acquisitions of Myogen, Inc. ($2.5 billion), CV Therapeutics, Inc. ($1.5 billion) and Triangle Pharmaceuticals, Inc. ($463 million)
- Represented Peet’s Coffee, Inc. in its proposed acquisition of Diedrich Coffee, Inc. ($250 million)
- Represented Compellent Technologies, Inc. in its acquisition by Dell, Inc. ($960 million)
- Represented RF Micro Devices, Inc. in its acquisition of Sirenza Microdevices, Inc. ($900 million)
Acquisitions and Dispositions of Privately-Held Companies
- Represented Dataguise, Inc., a Silicon Valley-based leader in innovative technology for businesses to protect personal data, in its sale to an affiliate of PKWARE, Inc., a global leader in automated data security, and its sponsor Thompson Street Capital Partners, a private equity firm
- Represented Kurion, Inc. in its acquisition by Veolia ($350 million)
- Represented Gilead Sciences, Inc. in its acquisitions of Corus Pharma, Inc. ($365 million) and Arresto Biosciences, Inc. ($225 million)
- Represented CNS Therapeutics, Inc. in its acquisition by Mallinckrodt ($100 million)
- Represented Aurora Networks, Inc. in its acquisition by Pace PLC ($310 million)
- Represented Job Rooster, Inc. in its acquisition by Labor Ready Holdings, Inc.
- Represented PGP Corporation ($300 million) in its acquisition by Symantec Corporation
- Represented Datran Media, Inc. in its merger with ContextWeb that resulted in the organization of PulsePoint, LLC
- Represented Datallegro Software, Inc., Rapt, Inc., Winternals Software, Inc. and AVIcode, Inc. in their respective acquisitions by Microsoft Corporation
- Represented Salesforce in its acquisition of Jigsaw Data Corporation ($142 million)
- Represented Voyant Technologies, Inc. in its acquisition by Polycom, Inc. ($145 million)
- Represented InStranet, Inc. in its acquisition by Salesforce ($31 million)
- Represented TimesTen, Inc. and Hyperroll, Inc. (asset sale) in their respective acquisitions by Oracle Corporation
- Represented Acucorp, Inc. in its acquisition by Micro Focus (US), Inc.
- The Legal 500 United States 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2015 to 2023, Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice; Corporate Law
- American Bar Association, Business Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Committee, member
- Board of Directors of Americans for Responsible Solutions Foundation, member
University of Michigan Law School, JD, 1981
Cornell University, BA, 1978