Nickou Oskoui focuses his practice on technology transactions, outsourcing and other commercial transactions. Nickou counsels clients in a wide variety of technology transactions, including cloud computing, software licenses, technology development and licensing agreements, e-commerce arrangements, software-as-a-service (SaaS), technology maintenance and service agreements and software compliance audits.
In addition, he advises clients on open source software licenses, including policies, compliance, and remediation. Nickou also counsels clients on intellectual property, open source and commercial contract issues that arise in the context mergers and acquisitions, including transition services agreements.
Prior to joining McDermott, Nickou gained experience as an intellectual property attorney primarily focused on patent and trade secrets litigation. While in law school, Nickou worked for a major research university evaluating new research and technology disclosures for potential commercialization, intellectual property protection and licensing.
While in law school, Nickou was an articles editor for the University of Illinois Journal of Law, Technology & Policy.
- Represented major accounting, tax, consulting and business advisory firm in numerous licensing and professional services agreements with several of its vendors
- Assisted in the representation of major oil field services company in intellectual property cross licensing and transaction services agreements as part of the sale of surface pressure control business unit
- Represented multiple pharmaceutical companies in data licensing and analytics agreements to identify subjects for clinical trials
- Represented startup technology company in negotiating agreements for development and publishing of a mobile golf game
- Represented numerous clients in negotiating cloud services agreements with the likes of Oracle, Microsoft, and SAP
- Represented private equity-backed education company in licensing educational content and materials from a major state research university for worldwide distribution to college students through local universities
University of Illinois College of Law, JD, magna cum laude, 2009
University of Texas at Austin, BS, 2001
Courts / Agencies
US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
US District Court for the Northern District of Texas
US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
US Patent and Trademark Office